Brain Damage?

My LO is almost 10 mts. and of course wants to do her own thing and get into everything! So lately she is crusing around and I would say maybe once or twice a week she will fall while she is standing up and hit her head on the floor (no carpet)! I'm wondering could this cause her to have brain damage or something else. It scares me so bad when she hits the floor like that!

melk819

Asked by melk819 at 12:48 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I doubt it :) I was SO scared of the same thing! My little guy used to fall off of stuff DAILY! :) Make sure she doesn't have a concussion (you can do this by putting your finger in front of her eyes and having her follow your finger, or check pupils) but kids fall- I think if a kiddos has NO bruises then something is wrong :) She is just going to get tougher :)
    Anonymous

• its what they do. it is scary but its best not to rush over and pick her up too quickly, that way as she gets older she doesn't whimper and fuss over every little bump or bruise. my husband was playing with our daughter once and tossed her a little too high (she was about 10 months at the time) and she hit her head on the ceiling fan, i about had a heart attack and he couldn't sleep for 2 days b/c he kept checking on her in the middle of the night. its not going to cause brain damage for her to bump her head a few times, just wait see if she cries and if she does go get her. check her eyes make sure they look normal and just keep an eye out, if she throws up, her eyes look funny or she's acting abnormally take her in she may have a concussion but otherwise, she'll be ok.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:52 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Babies heads are designed to take the knocks of the first year. It's why their "soft spot" remains until a littler over a year. It helps cushion those blows when your LO is learning to walk. No worries mama, if your child get hurts, I'm sure you'll know.

RissaBusch

Answer by RissaBusch at 3:13 PM on May. 4, 2009