• In the Spotlight:

My dh and I..... taking a break.

My husband thinks that we need to be apart or a little awhile. We have been fighting alot and i'm not even sure it will work out. He says a little time apart could change alot. So I am going back to where my family is .. 700 miles away for a month. Anyone think breaks like this really help a relationship?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• It depends on why the breaks are taken and your situation. If you are taking a break to see if you are happy without him or to find other people, it's probably not going to help the relationship. If you are taking a break to take time to find yourself and figure out how to solve some of the issues in the marriage, I think it will help.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:52 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Yes, it will give you each time to think and process all your thoughts without the drama of another fight. I would also look into counseling for when you return. My husband and I have taken breaks like this before and it really has opened our eyes to what we want, need and expect from one another. Think and make lists of the pros and cons of staying together, leaving, why you fell in love, why your falling out of love, what the fights are about, why your fighting about the same things. Once you see it on paper then you can discuss your issues face to face. Take the time to find you again and discover what you want, need and deserve in life and he needs to do the same. Separation doesn't mean you don't speak it just means your not in the same location to do nothing but fight. Fighting is good, but fighting over the same thing all the time is damaging as it has and will never get solved until you clear your head.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:53 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I think when relationships are struggling (serious relationships) the two needs to spend more time together (and REFUSE to fight) take a weekend get away and find your love and romance again. Talk and realize there is more important things in life then to fight all the time. Get to know each other again, figure out WHAT the problem is.. fix it. You need to quit blaming your husband (if you do) for ANYTHING. Take a step back and look at yourself and figure out what is wrong with you and fix it. When someting is going wrong in your life its important to say "what can I do to fix this" rather then whine and complain. I think being away for a month is a long time to be away from your family and I really think that could cause harm. Maybe if you really think time away will do good.. I'd say do a week.. But I think all that a month away will do is cause cheating, realize I can do this without her or I can't do all this without her.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:55 PM on May. 4, 2009

• There are no "breaks" in Marriage... Does anyone remember their vows anymore? It sounds like he wants to take some time to figure out if he wants OUT of the marriage or not. I don't think it's a good idea, especially to go that far away ( out of sight out of mind)..However I hope it works for you!
    Anonymous