Got Toddler bed, Now how do we get our 18 month old daughter down for her nap?

We got our 18 month old daughter her toddler bed yesterday, Last night was a nightmare. She always fights before bed but last night was 2 1/2 hours of crying and screaming. She finally cried herself to sleep while her daddy was in her room with her. But now its nap time. I used to put her in her crib and walk out. She would fall asleep within 3o mins. What should I do now? She has been in her room for about 15 minutes crying, and knocking on the door.

Should I let her skip her nap so shes more tired for bedtime? Should I try to go in there with her? If I do she will probably just want to play. Or should I just let her cry or do whatever it is she is going to do for the next hour? (her naps usually lasted 1 - 2 hours.

Any advice would help, thank you

BelloItaliano

Asked by BelloItaliano at 1:08 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if she gets up just gently put her back into bed.. don't stay in the room with her. keep putting her back into bed until she is asleep.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:01 AM on May. 5, 2009

• NO. She will cry herself to sleep. Go in and put her in bed and tell her its nap time and walk out. If you give in today then it will be a daily thing. Have you tried turning the bed around so the opening is toward a wall and leaving it pulled out until she is used to it. DOn't break her routine as she will never learn. It takes time to adjust.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:10 PM on May. 4, 2009

• We did the same drill with our son at 22 months (he also was great about going down int he crib. I put him in and left). Nap time took a hit for a while. The "crying it out" approach didn't work in our case for two reasons. First, when he got really mad he bounced himself off furniture (I was afraid of his getting hurt). Second, he could cry far longer than I could stand it. Thus, here's what we did. Keep the bedtime routine as similar as possible to what you were doing in the crib. Put her in her bed, say goodnight and walk out. If she screams, go back in, put her back in her bed and sit with her. Endlessly (and in your most boring voice), tell her it's time to go to sleep (or equivalent). I stayed in the room as long as my son stayed in the bed. If he got up, I left. If he didn't cry after I left, I didn't go back in. If he cried, I waited a few minutes then repeated. (continue...)
    Anonymous

• (cont'd) I also tried rubbing his back as long as he stayed in bed. Same rule applied. Try not to interact at all other than the same lines over and over. The more boring it is, the less interesting. Eventually he got the hang of it and would go to be easily. With nighttime solved, naptime fell into line. Admittedly, I rocked him at naptime when he readlly needed a nap. Otherwise I let him play in his room. I did skip naps a few times to make it easier to get him down at night which also seemed to break the cycle of fighting going down at night. Be consistent and patient as it may take a bit. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• have you looked into those things that you put over the doorknobs? what i would do is get one and shut the door. tell your DD that it is quiet time, that she doesn't have to lay down and sleep but that she has to be quiet and when quiet time is over that mom will come open the door. until then, she must either lay quietly with a book or play quietly with toys. if she is naughty then she will start losing toys/binkies/cookies/whatever. do not open the door, regardless of how long she cries. 18 months is a little young for the toddler bed. is there a reason you decided to put her in at that age?
    fabulosa

Answer by fabulosa at 3:23 PM on May. 4, 2009

• mine is 18 months too and I am having some troube getting her to go to sleep at night. i just sit with her unti she falls asleep, which is so NOT fun, lol. But im trying to be consistant and show her that her new bed is cool and for a big girl. She likes it during the day, its just a night time problem. I think the rails gave her some extra security. Im gonna power through. She always gets the hang of things pretty fast!
    Mybblz

Answer by Mybblz at 11:51 PM on May. 4, 2009

• The average age I have seen is 18 months. We decided on putting her in a toddler bed at this age because she started climbing up her changing table ( we had a convertible crib). We tried putting it as the toddler bed but she did the same thing. Then we tried the regular crib my mother used for my little sister. She tried climbing out of that. So we wanted to transition her before she climbed out and got hurt. She has always been ahead when it came to physical and mental development. She was crawling at 7 months and walking around 9-10 months. She has been climbing things since 7 months. LoL

She skipped her nap today, and fell asleep around 6 pm tonight. We brought her into her room, and said "ok night night time". She climbed in bed but started crying. We sat with her for about 15 minutes. Then she started getting up, so we told her if she got out of bed we were going to walk out. We ended up following through even though
    BelloItaliano

Answer by BelloItaliano at 12:02 AM on May. 5, 2009

• we didnt want to. About 15 minutes later she was quiet. We thought she was playing so we went to her door, it was quiet. My bf (her father) opened the door. However he couldnt open it all the way because she was asleep on the floor in front of the door. lol :( So he slid her a bit and squeezed his way in her room, picked her up and put her in her bed. She stayed asleep. Then around 11, she cried saying "Mommy" but then she was quiet after a less than a minute. So she must have fallen back to sleep. I hope this will get easier, I feel terrible because she cried herself to sleep on the floor. But I guess thats how it goes sometimes.....
    Im still trying to figure out what to do for her nap time though..... So any more help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for the answers already
    BelloItaliano

Answer by BelloItaliano at 12:05 AM on May. 5, 2009