How much does your 3 month old eat?

My 3-month-old daughter has anywhere between 35-41 oz. of formula a day in 5 oz. bottles every 2.5-4 hours, depending on how hungry she is.

I wonder if I should be feeding her more so she doesn't feel hungry and need be fed as often throughout the day (and night, which is killing me!). I'm waiting to hear back from my pediatrician, and in the meantime thought I'd reach out to other Cafe Moms, who have been such a great resource for me.

Thanks!

deereporter

Asked by deereporter at 1:15 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are making 6 oz bottles and she is eating that much during the day then she should eat less at night. If she stops at 5 oz then she's not ready for 8 oz. If she still seems hungry then start off having her finish 6. If you want her to stop eating so much at night then feed her every 3 hours as much as she will eat and then one big bottle before bed. Offer her 4 oz at each feeding and then 6 at night. Our daughter slept all night by 3 months and that is what we had to do. She ate every 3 hours on the dot for the most part and then she had 2 6oz bottles before bed.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:18 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My granddaughter will be 3 months old tomorrow and she drinks an 8 oz bottle when she gets up in the morning and then 6 oz bottles every 3 hours thereafter throughout the day. She sleeps from 10pm until 6am. So that is a total of 38 oz per day.

So, in my opinion, your baby is getting the right amount of formula per day. Will she drink 6 oz bottles instead of 5 oz or does she automatically stop at 5 oz? I was thinking that if she drank an extra ounce per feeding then perhaps she may last a full 3 hours until her next feeding instead of 2.5. As she grows older she will drink more and will go longer periods of time between feedings.
    Sounds like she's doing well, though! :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:01 PM on May. 4, 2009