single mom/student

I'm a single mom/student, was wondering if anyone knew of any grants, any finanicial assistance to help out my boys and i, while i finish school. I cant work full time because im a med student, and have a lot of classes, and i went to the social service office, and they declined me for financial assitstance, because my ex husband who is deployed at the moment pays 700.00 in child support, and they feel that is enough to live off of in san diego. :( can anyone share some advice with me?

alexis129

Asked by alexis129 at 1:38 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• have you filled out the fafsa? Im in the same boat. I get my school paid for through federal grants and then take out a studen loan to pay the bills (yeah i know probably not the greatest plan but hey we gotta eat). Also go to your financial aid office, some schools have private scholarships for single parents.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:48 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Would you be able to work part time to supplement your income?
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:11 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I wish those people had to live off of $700 a month...so they would know it is not possible... Have you thought about trying some things at home? I would love to give you a few ideas....FREE legit ideas....Just pm me and I will give you information!
    Momm2Princess

Answer by Momm2Princess at 2:51 PM on May. 4, 2009

• http://www.freedomathometeam.com/sbrement
    Tia23sb

Answer by Tia23sb at 3:25 PM on May. 4, 2009

• you're incredibly lucky to get 700 a month in child support. im lucky if i get 120 a month. hah
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 3:25 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Wow, you are one amazing mom!

Fastweb is a great clearinghouse for scholarships: www.fastweb.com

Check with the financial aid office at your school. Contact your Federal and local members of congress; they make have discretionary scholarships available.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:36 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I am a stay at home mom and a student as well. I work part time and get full time pay educating women about sexual health and providing parties for women in a safe environment about their relationships. Its a lot of fun and allows me to get out of home and meet some new women. I get my own flexible schedule too. You can look at my journal entry on my page titled FAQs about Pure Romance. Its not a job when you enjoy it!
    mrsmilander

Answer by mrsmilander at 1:05 AM on May. 5, 2009