Which is easier to teach an 18 month old : Colors or Shapes?

I am having a hard time teaching my 18 month old her colors and I was wondering if shapes would be easier? If you have any suggestions or books that would make it easier, I would love to learn about them. THANKS!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is two and is just starting to understand shapes and a few colors. Try just repeating them in conversation like you have the blue car or hand me the red ball (sorry I have a boy, i dont have any good girl examples. lol) Do the same with shapes. In my experience flashcards arent worth the paper they are printed on.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:42 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I'd go with shapes first. it's more concrete concept than colors. A shape sorter (of any type) is a great way to teach both shapes and colors while having fun. When you're playing or out running errands, point out shapes and colors in ordinary objects. Play with crayons. Draw shapes with chalk on a sidewalk or blackboard. Just keep it fun. Kids learn at different speeds and there's no hurry!
    Anonymous

• She is way too young for you to be worried about this yet. She should be able to identify 2 (that's TWO) colors by age 3. Yes, many kids know more long before then. And many kids don't know any - they just are not interested and don't care yet. Many kids don't learn them until they actually start school. Same with shapes, colors, and numbers. Some kids are interested and learn them early, some are not interested yet and get frustrated when mom tries to force them to learn it.

And I agree with the other moms, work it into your every day life... Let's play with the blue ball today. Look at that brown dog. Aren't apples a pretty red? Keep it fun and creative. Save flashcards, workbooks, and "let's sit and learn" lessons for rapid, forced learning later in grade school.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:47 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Shapes are easier, (18-24mos), & those shape sorter cubes are great. About $5 at Target & it keeps all the shapes inside. Colors have different shades, hues, tones, and are a little confusing. It's too abstract right now. However, before she can name them, she will probably be able to distinguish them. Our 24 m/o is now sorting his alphabet fridge magnets into groups of colors. He's realizing they are different. He also has alphabet blocks that have colors on 2 sides (yellow/blue, red/green) and he will put them into a row based on the color. At first only yellows & reds because there were 2 choices, now he will do 4 colors to keep the rows a similar length. It's still pretty early, and she'll get it, just don't push to hard, keep it fun, or she won't want to do it at all. Ours has a speech therapist that cautions me about doing too much, too fast, or "what will he learn in school?! Just have FUN with her & good luck, Mama!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:01 PM on May. 4, 2009

• PS-Your comment about "I'm having a hard time teaching her..." is because she is learning & absorbing things constantly all day, every day. You are teaching her by example. Think long term with her, she will be ready for Kindergarten when it comes. Her mind is still developing, and after 24 mos - 36 mos, her capacity for learning things more quickly will show up. Sometimes, I think we as mothers (guilty here...) want to give our children every possible advantage to keep up in school, so it makes sense to start early, right? Wrong, we will burn them out before they get to school, and they will hate going. There is alot to learn in life before ABC's & 123's. Like making cookies w/Mom! You are doing the right things, just don't expect immediate results, lower your expectations, and enjoy this age. It's a WONDERFUL age! Good luck, again! Happy Mother's Day, early!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:09 PM on May. 4, 2009