Funny how that works huh?

Norman Mattoon Thomas (November 20, 1884 - December 19,1968) was a leading American socialist, pacifist, and six-time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America. He was ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1911. As a candidate for President of the U.S. , Norman Thomas said, in a 1944 epoch speech:

"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism", they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." He went on to say: "I no longer need to run as a Presidential Candidate for the Socialist Party. The Democratic Party has adopted our platform."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I wish you could have heard Ben Stein speak this morning regarding the same, he was very good.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 1:54 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Akin, when and what was Ben Stein on this morning?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:58 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Run!!! Run for your lives, the socialists are coming!!! AAAAAHHHHRRRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Laugh all you want anon 12:59, but pretty soon Government is going to be telling you to jump. Your response will be 'how high and when can I come down?'.
    Anonymous

• He was on Fox talk radio around 8am EST this morning, I listened to it while taking the kids to school. If I can remember right he summed it all up by saying
    " Obama IS socializing this nation very rapidly and he is removing Constitutional Law even more rapidly". He was good, I can't remember all else he said between 3 girls in the car.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 2:06 PM on May. 4, 2009

• He was right - the democrats became that way when they started absorbing the progressives. It's simple history.

Having had the opportunity to live in a socialist nation for a while, I got to see it's effects first hand - and I am telling you, as corrupt as things can get under capitalism, it is still much much better than that.
    Anonymous

• So because ONE man from a party you obviously don't follow said that, you're going to take it as an absolute fact?
    Anonymous

• He said it a long time ago and now it's happening before our very eyes, silly anon. He must have been psychic! The liberals don't want to hear this stuff though. They would like to pretend it's all been a part of the Democratic platform forevahhhhhhh. Trying to be all things to all people. Trying to capture the moderate republicans when they have absolutely nothing to offer them in terms of real government solutions. They can't even keep most of their own party happy. Just the sheeple following them around the pasture. The Dems are starting to eat each other alive because they don't have enough common sense to know when to stop. Pelosi, Frank and Dodd are all good examples of that.

Anonymous

• lol when the guy you disagree with wins he might do some things you don't like but it's not socialism, you nuts!
    Anonymous

• Keep telling yourself that. I certainly hope you are right, but I think you are probably wrong.
    Anonymous