Can anyone explain this mindset to me?

I don't understand the attitude some parents have that once their child turns 18 and/or graduates high school that their job is done. The kid is out of the house and on their own, period, paragraph. I can understand encouraging your child to try to be independent as soon as possible. I'm talking about the parents that have the "you're outta here!" attitude.

Silvertears1275

Asked by Silvertears1275 at 1:49 PM on May. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think the world is too big of a place for the psyche of a teenager. I can't believe they send people to war at that age. Their brains are NOT fully developed. I think gentle supportive nudges towards independence is the best way to go until they are ready to fly on their own.
    comfycouch

Answer by comfycouch at 7:39 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My oldest is only 10, so I don't know how I'll be in another 8 years or so.... but I imagine that I won't be the "you're outta here" type mom.

But then again, I might be.... I guess it depends on how my kid's attitude is.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:51 PM on May. 4, 2009

• no, I cant. I do not feel that way and never have. My oldest is almost 15 and I told her we will be finding her a local 2 yr school to attend to get her core classes done because I am not sending her out of state to college at 17. She graduates at 17. You become "guide" at that age, and no longer "master", but I never want my kids to go too far.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:55 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Well the other extreme is parents that let their kids stay until they are in their 30's. The moms still make them breakfast and wash their dirty laundry.

My parents were the type to make you want to leave at 18...my dad turned into a real dick at about age 14 so that we would be happy to leave at 18.

IDK...I think I will be somewhere in between.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:56 PM on May. 4, 2009

• i guess some parents are ready to get back to their own life. i dont know. mine is 7 and i dont paln on being that way with her. thank God my parents werent like that. i just went through a divorce and without them i would be up $hit creek...if you know what I mean. they are the only people i can rely on to be here for me no matter what. that;s the kind of mom i want to be forever. when i am 80, God willing, and my baby is 60 if i can help her i will. just my opinion doesnt mean its right or wrong...
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 1:57 PM on May. 4, 2009

• my children can live with me past 18 as long as they are responsible. if they refuse to go to college or jr college or trade school or whatever they're going to have to get a job and pay rent. otherwise they can move in with someone else :p
    Anonymous

• As long as my son is activly trying to better himself he can live with me in perpuitity. And he can always come home if he leaves and then needs to come home again.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 5:38 PM on May. 4, 2009