Toddler Bed question!

How old would you recomend my toddler be before i put him in a toddler bed! Hes 17 monthes now but i think thats still to young?

luvmylilman2007

Asked by luvmylilman2007 at 1:57 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think there is any right age. I didn't transfer my kids to regular bed (I skipped the toddler bed) until either I needed the crib for the next one or they got out of their crib by themselves!!! Once they started jumping over (middle one did it at 26 months and youngest did it at 32 months), I knew it was time. My oldest was 24 months when he moved to a regular size bed and we just bought a railing (which he was the only one to use) to prevent him falling off.

You can have a perfectly good reason to transfer a kid at 17 month, and you can have a perfectly good reason (they are trapped in a crib and have to take a nap!!!) to wait until they are 3 years old.
    sauterelledesil

Answer by sauterelledesil at 2:03 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My son is two and is still in a crib, so I dont know. He got new bedroom stuff for his birthday so i think im going to change him to a toddler bed when I redo his room, we'll see how it goes. He has never tried to climb out of his bed and personally I like the idea of him being confined to the crib.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:06 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I also don't think it's an age thing. If the child can get out of the crib, it's time for a bed. personally we skipped the toddler bed. Too small and he'd outgrow it too quickly. We moved our son at 22 months when he demonstrated just how easily he could get out his crib! Our crib converted to a full size bed but we used only the regular mattress (box spring made it too high for him). He sleeps the "wrong" way on the bed so when he rolls, the headboard and foot board keep him from falling out. I would have kepted him in the crib until 3 given the choice.
    Anonymous

• We didn't switch our son until he started climbing over the side and that scared me. He was almost 2 I want to say. Like maybe 22-23 months. And we had a crib that converted to a toddler bed, so we used that until he was about 4. Then he got a twin bed. We plan on doing the same with our daughter but I think she will be older than he was, because she doesn't even try at all to stand up in her bed, let alone climb over. She is 14 months and he started trying to lift his leg over at about 13 months.
    There is no right age for any of these transitions with children. Just whatever is right for you and right for your child.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:15 PM on May. 4, 2009

• if he can climb ot of his crib.. it would be for his safety to be in a toddler bed. all my 3 girls were in toddler beds at 18months old
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:59 PM on May. 4, 2009