Another bible question: The orignal pages

This seems to be Bible history day, and as a Christian I really do enjoy learning. What is the oldest version we have of the original pages of the Bible? I know there are some actual letters of Paul but what about the rest?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are NO original manuscripts left--only man-made copies of copies. Even the dead sea scrolls (the oldest known manuscripts) are copies of earlier copies. I'm quoting the History Channel here. I agree that, regardless of your religion or lack of, you need to know the mythology of the bible. But, in some places you're going to need to keep a barf bag handy. It gets pretty disgusting, especially in the first two or three books of the old testament.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 3:16 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Actually while we don't have the original manuscripts we do have some very old copies. The Dead Sea Scrolls are the oldest Hebrew (OT) manuscripts. There are some NT manuscripts from the first/second century. We can be assured of the authenticity of the biblical text today of the in part because of the sheer number of biblical manuscripts we have. Some are whole books of the Bible, others fragments of just a few words, but there are literally thousands of manuscripts in Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Coptic, Syriac, and other languages. The process of textual criticism is used to make sure we have authentic text.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:13 PM on May. 7, 2009