If you home school..how do you find time

for doing things like cleaning the house, running errands you might not want the kids to be with you on, etc?

We're looking into homeschooling and I want to know about all aspects of it, including stupid things like this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on May. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I did homeschool. Because it's one-on-one, the school day is way shorter. That leaves alot of time to do "house chores", which the kids can certainly help with. They can also run your errands with you, and if there are a few that you need to do alone....like everyone else, get a babysitter, another homeschool mom, or wait until Dad comes home.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:13 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I was homeschooled and one school year one of the homeschooling mom's paid me to watch her 5 daughters every Wednesday from like 10am-2pm while she would go out to run errands, get together with friends, ect.

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 2:41 PM on May. 4, 2009

• We generally do all the household chores in the morning...when they're done we school. After school we do lunch and go outside for the afternoon. When my husband gets home I do my errands or I just take them with me (I have 3). I use the experience as a teaching opportunity if I can.

EX: We were learning about how the post office works and what happens when you mail a letter. So I had the kids make some letters for their friend in another state and I took them and all our things to be mailed to the PO. They got to mail them out themselves.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:04 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Use the errands as a teaching tool, have your husband do them, or do them after he's home.

Knock housecleaning down a couple of notches on your 'things to do' list & learn to live with a little mess or devote the 30 min to an hour before bedtime as "clean up time" where the ENTIRE family (yes, that means dad, too) picks up a little around the house.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:18 AM on May. 5, 2009