What if?

OK, so let's say that the "Book of Jesus" was actually to be unearthed or discovered. Based on dating and everything else that science does, actually proves that it could indeed be authentic. Would Christianity accept this book? Would we re-write the Bible, to accommodate this discovered book?

Gretchen2876

Asked by Gretchen2876 at 2:07 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• In my opinion, If it were the real book of Jesus we wouldn't have to re-write the Bible because the real word of God doesn't contradict the Bible. But I don't think it would be real because the Bible says that it is complete and there is no more to be revealed.

The Word of God, is a name for Jesus (John 1 and Rev. 19:3). So our Bible we believe to be breathed by God-- "All Scripture is inspired by God" this literally means God breathed. So the entire Bible is written by Jesus basically, as He spoke through men. That is why I believe He didn't need to write His own gospel; He had been writing the Bible all along.

: )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:14 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Interesting question by the way : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:15 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I think you'd get a lot of religious leaders who would find fault with its accuracy no matter what was proven.

Afterall, there are many who like the control and power.

Others would willingly open up their hearts and doctrine to include it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:15 PM on May. 4, 2009

• No the catholic church wouldn't allow it. for example, I don't see what the problem is with the idea of Jesus getting married and having children. Why wouldn't he have done those things? BUT the catholic church says no so it must be so. Whatever!!!
    Anonymous

• anon WTF are you talking about LOL the last time I checked most Christian religions do not get the OK from the pope before doing something.
    Anonymous

• I for one would be psyched if this book were to ever really be discovered! I would hope, that it would actually clarify the things that we Christians fight about the most. Not to mention, just the thought of a book written by him is just awe inspiring all by itself! I do have my doubts that it would be widely accepted though. Religion has become very political, and I believe people would try to prove it as false. Just because they wouldn't want to admit that there was something left out. You know?
    Gretchen2876

Answer by Gretchen2876 at 2:18 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I think it would depend on what it said... for example, if Jesus had written that homosexuality was okay now, or stealing, or adultery, people would say it was fake. If it agreed with everything already in the bible, they would say it was real. JMO.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 2:22 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I would jump all over it, if it was proven to be accurate!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:26 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I think some would accept it and some wouldn't.

Different denominations have already given us examples of embracing other scriptures and rejecting them.

Just take the epistles of Paul for example.
    Anonymous

• Consider, if you will, why didn't Jesus write his own gospel? Why didn't he think his words were important enough to hire a scribe or a secretarial assistant to follow him around? Since the bible is "the word" for so many people, obviously Jesus didn't think his teachings were very important or he would have written a biography.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 2:55 PM on May. 5, 2009