non cooking mommas how do you do it!!!

my son just turned one and i dont cook and DH doesnt cook, were a family of microwavables and throw in the oven.... i just realized today im going to have to PLAN out meals to cook and make sure they all have the proper nutrients!!!!!!!!!!!!! what should i plan!!!! what are good foods with nutrients?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on May. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• WE do grilled chicken, the kids love it with a side of pasta, veggie, and salad. I can do meatloaf, and spaghetti. I don't enjoy cooking. We get some Stoffers dinners, stir fry, and that type of thing. I'm still not a planner, but the kids are well fed. Give lots of fruit and veggies. Try it with dips. Good luck, and don't worry!
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 2:26 PM on May. 4, 2009

• well i cook now but im still learning. the best advice i can give you is to get cook books and go to recipe websites (kraftfoods.com, etc) and sit down and decide what you are going to cook for a week and then get the things you will need for each meal. i hope this helps. send me a message anytime.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 2:23 PM on May. 4, 2009

• time to learn how to cook... check out allrecipes.com they have a category for quick and easy kid friendly meals... you will learn through trial and error what works for your family your budget and how much time you are willing to be in the kitchen I'm still having a hard time getting used to cooking for just me and my daughter and always making way too much so I'm learning all over again I like tasteofhome.com too both sites let you save recipes in a recipe box if I get some free time I save some I would like to try one or both of the sites helps you with a shopping list I think.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 2:26 PM on May. 4, 2009

• thanks ladies :]
    Anonymous

• Get a crock pot and a rice cooker. Best investments ever. I have lots of crockpot recipes and other healthy kid friendly easy recipes if you want to send me a message.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:05 PM on May. 4, 2009

• You sound like me! lol

I know how to cook...actually I'm a very good cook...but since the baby came along, I haven't had much time. My baby is 10 mos old, so she's still eating some baby food and finger foods. I'm still popping my meals in the micro. When she turns one, she'll be completely eating what I eat, so I'll be doing more cooking then. But just simple things like pasta and soups...stuff like that.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:03 PM on May. 4, 2009

• You can keep meals simple: salads, sandwiches, beans and rice and quesdillas with avocado, throw stuff in the crockpot. Pasta with jarred sauce and frozen veggies. Whole wheat spagetti with broccoli and peanut sauce (really, really easy)
    Start by going to the library and looking at kids cookbooks (Pretend Soup is our favorite), check one or two. Another good source is www.spatulatta.com, a kids cooking website.
    Start slowly, and follow simple guidelines: eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least three different colors. Eat 7 servings of whole grains a day, like brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain bread. Eat beans and lentils. Find two friends to share meals with, you can each make enough of one meal for three families and give 1/3 to each; now you have cooked one meal and you have two more.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:54 PM on May. 4, 2009