2 girls and cervical cancer runs in hubbys side of the family

they are only 4 and 16 months old, but there are a couple great aunts that had it and achually my sister in law went to sergery today because she got it back. She found out she had it after her baby was born almost 4 years ago she had sergery then she had a pap done this year and has it back again so went through sergery this morning. The thing is I have 2 girls. My question is at what age can they get cervical cancer and when should they start seeing a doctor? I know they are to young now, but with it running in hubbys family it scares me so I am just trying to get answers now, so I know what to do thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It runs in my dads side of the family too. He passed away from cancer in 2005, his doctor told us to just be sure to have regular check up, to start at 16, your hormones really kick in then. You do NOT have to be sexually active to get cervical cancer so it is better to be safe. And remember just because it runs in the family doesn't mean they will get it. Hope this helps.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 10:24 AM on May. 5, 2009

• as soon as they become sexually active they should start going. a majority of cervical cancer cases are caused by the HPV virus (some 80% of the population has had it at least once). are you 100% positive that it is genetic and not caused by HPV?
    Anonymous

• Things to consider...sexual activity and if they're smokers. I would just wait until they're sexually active or 18, whichever comes first.

HPV has several different strands and only a handful are cancer causing. Most women have HPV and don't even know it. Most HPV cases go away on their own. When your girls are older I would suggest really talking to them about the risks of having sex and getting the virus, with emphasis on the fact that several people in the family have had it before. Keep them informed.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:09 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I don't know hubbys aunt says it is genetic, but I am not sure
    Anonymous

• so cerivcal cancer is caused from sex?
    Anonymous

• Cervical cancer can be from an STD, that is what some of the HPV strains are. I would talk with your daughters pediatrician about your concerns. I would say that an exam might be in order once they get their periods. My nieces mom had cervical cancer and had surgery, so my nieces pediatrician highly recommended the Guardisal vaccine sometime after she turns 13. I would just talk to the doctor about your concerns.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:49 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Cervial cancer as a primary cancer is a STD. Teach your girls later about safe sex.

GET YOUR DAUGHTERS IMMUNIZED they can get the series starting at age 13. HPV vaccine matter of fact in some states it is becoming required to enter 8th grade!
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:32 PM on May. 4, 2009