• In the Spotlight:

Stop Chewing?

So, last night me and my SO went up to walmart to buy cake mix, we were gone for no longer than 20 minutes. When we got home we had found that our dog chewed off the top part of our house phone.

It still works and you can hear fine on it still. But the jagged part where she chewed rubs on your ear.

She is almost 2 years old and this still hasn't stopped!
She does great for about 2 months. She doesn't chew a thing. Then all of a sudden she chews something.
And it's never anything simple, it's always a cell phone charger, or an extension cord, blow dryer, and this time the house phone.

I just don't know what to do about it.

Help please!

LoniRae89

Asked by LoniRae89 at 2:35 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Pets

• Get a crate and make sure you crate the dog when you are away. This is not cruel by any means. My 2 year old black lab was doing the same thing. We'd leave and she'd freak out and start chewing stuff, but it didn't happen all the time, but sporatically. I asked my vet about it and he said I need to crate her every time I go out. Some dogs get very nervous being in a large space by themselves and feel more comfortable in a crate. Luckily she has been crate trained since she was a puppy so it wasn't a big deal. You won't have issues if you crate the dog.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:02 PM on May. 4, 2009

• obedience classes maybe. i know petsmart and petco do them. depending on your area, you could also check locally. i have noticed with my pup that if i give him a bone he would rather chew that up then anything else. oh and watch Its me or the Dog....i jsut found that show and i really like it. good luck
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:39 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I have a 3 year old that still tries to chew stuff. I say tries, because we've always crated when we aren't home. So when we are home I can hear when she is getting into things. She always takes whatever she has stolen to chew on to the living room couch and she has a certain walk that she does when she has something. All I have to do is hear that tell tale click click click on the wood floor and know she has something she isn't supposed to. In fact today, she had a package of printer photo paper. Silly dog. I also know that she does it because she is bored. If I take them outside for an hour in the backyard first thing in the morning, I rarely have any problems. Otherwise, it's around lunch time that she starts getting into things. I would recommend crate training. It may take awhile since she's already 2, but it can be done. Also, make sure she's getting enough exercise.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:20 PM on May. 4, 2009