Speech therapist for my 22 month old?

Okay so my daughter will be 2 in June. She is really smart...knows all her animals and can point anything out and once we show her something...she picks things up really quick. You ask her what anything is or to do anything...so knows what you are talking about. The only problem we are running into is her speaking. She says mommy, daddy, baby, two, allie (my mom's dog), please, thank you (sort of), and a few other words. But for the most part she talks all day long but it's in her language. We have tried getting her to pronounce things and sometimes she gets it but doesn't seems to remember how to say it the next day. Her Dr. said she was concerned and wants me to take her to a speech therapist. Do you think that this is neccessary? I'm getting worried too because I see all the other kids her age speaking really well. I know all kids are different but when should I start acting on the concerns?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is 2 1/2 and has been in speech therapy for over a year. it does help-hes talking more now than he ever has. even if the dr is concerned, you still have to be evaluated by a speech therapist and they may decide that she is fine and doesnt need it. so make sure you keep that in mind. my son loves going to therapy. its more like playtime but they do a lot of teaching with him. good luck :)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 2:41 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I'd take her to a speech therapist or have her evaluated by your state's Early Intervention team. It can't hurt and it can definitely help if there's a problem. My son wasn't talking at all by 18 months and we had him evalauted (at dr's recommendation). At 2, he now has >100 words and is starting to put two word phrases together. He's still a bit behind but has made tremendous progress. Might he have done it without help? Perhaps. But the therapy has given me peace of mind.. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• It is my opinion that having a speech therapist evaluating your child will not hurt. It could be that she doesn't need it but at least you are being pro-active in making sure your child is achieving developmental milestones. If there is a speech delay early intervention increases the chances of a successful catch up with her peers. As a matter of fact I have my son's speech evaluation tomorrow, he is three and has made a tremendous improvement from the time I made the appointoment to the time he will be seeing but nonetheless, the appointments are hard to get here in my state and I will keep it to make sure he is developing as he should.

Good luck and think of it in terms of "making sure she is where she needs to be" if not, how can you help her to get there, that may help.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 2:50 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Pronunciation really varies - some kids don't have all the sounds (especially r, l, and s) until 5 or 6 years old. And kids this age frequently drop parts of words, use different sounds for ones they can't say yet - mo ooee for more cookies - no r, no c, k or s.
    By 24 months, your daughter should have 100 or more words. A word you prompt her to repeat after you doesn't count - only words she has used on her own. Also around 24 months is when they start to string two words together... that classic request for mo ooee (more cookies) or mo me (milk).
    If your doctor is concerned, she may be seeing something more than you are seeing. She has seen lots of children pass through this stage, with and without problems. It can't hurt to have her evaluated. They may say she's fine or they may want to work with her a little. If there are problems, it's best to catch them early. She's worth it - call.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:59 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Have her evaluated by Early Childhood Intervention, and THEY will determine if there actually is a delay, there may not be, and then you would know. If she does qualify, she will love the playful things they do, and they will also teach you the things that will help her. We started our FS at 22 months. (Mostly said BYE, at that time.) Now, just 2 months later, he gets that there is a whole world of words, everything has a name, and he's saying many more words. BTW, ours tested above average on all the other levels, except for the "verbalizing". He "expressed" himself fine, just not VERBALLY. PS-they all say that their 2nd birthday brings a huge amount of maturity and they may just start talking on their own. He very well may have, had we NOT done the therapy, but we did it just in case. Good luck, and be patient, she'll get it soon enough!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:18 PM on May. 4, 2009

• she's doing better than my 27 month old. call 1-800 323-grow they are early intervention for kids with delays they will evaluate her & tel you if she needs help.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:56 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My oldest son Riley is close to your daughters age, and has the same problem. He can understand everything you say to him, and can do things as directed. But when it comes to talking, it's like he is speaking another language. My doctor has also said speech therapy might be a good I'd I figure it's not going to hurt to give it a chance (I still need to call them). But I mean really if your unsure I think you should take her to get s second opinion.

If it makes you feel any better I have heard many storie like these. The guy that did my taxes this year said his son didn't talk until he was 3 years old & now he wont shut up. If your daughter is doing good in all other communication, and other skills I would try not to worry to much!
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 2:21 AM on May. 5, 2009