Entitlement...who?

That word seems to be tossed around here very loosely. Especially for those that choose to get a hand up. I'm not speaking of abusing the system either...we all know there are many that do.

Do you think there are specific examples of those that are "entitled" to certain benefits, monies, etc.?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, of course. People that have legitimately been hurt by the negligence of someone else and or course our servicemen and women.
    Anonymous

• If I am reading your post correctly, I would say yes some are entitled to some benefits. The elderly and infirm and the truly disabled are entitled to living assistance and medications. All military veterans, especially wounded war veterans are entitled to disability pay, death benefits, medical benefits and medications. This country has an obligations to take care of the elderly that built it and the veterans that defend it. Just because you hold a citizenship though, does not entitle you to anything but the FREEDOM to pursue what you want legally.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 2:50 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I believe their are many that are entitled to benefits.However the abusers have ruined it for the deserving. An example of a deserving candidate would be elderly VETS that cant even get their medical expenses covered. You would think if they were valuable enough to fight for this country that it would at least take care of them when they came home.I can only imagine what it will be like for those that have and are serving in this war to get their very much deserved benefits. Another specific example would be the children disabled by their abusing parents-families thrown out into a world in which they have no understanding and expected to survive on their own.Really I could probably go on and on but the truth is I believe their really are those who need the system and I pray the gov coninues to find way of helping those in need.

leo72482

Answer by leo72482 at 3:04 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I think that Veterans are entitled to all of the benefits they get and more.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 3:41 PM on May. 4, 2009

• OP, I believe that those seeking a "hand up" (as you put it) are entitled to benefits- but that is because it is the ones that are getting a "hand up" they feel bad for having to take the help and are the ones that are working to get off of the help. They are just cut short somewhere (loss of job, illness, makes too little to afford cost of living, OR have had work hours cut back) that puts their family to the point that they need a bit of help. The ones that I think you were refering too are the ones that seek a "Hand Out". Those are the ones that take and take and take, feel as though they do not need to strive for any better, and have the attitude of "Entitlement". The attitude is not the same as the actual earned ability of time put in over years in exchange for a bit of help when it is absolutely needed.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 3:56 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I think that my generation is the era of entitlement (MTV generation). The youth of America have such a false sense of entitlement that it makes me ashamed to be associated with my own genre, so to speak. We have become lax in everything that we do. I swear we aren't even creative anymore. The artists of today are green in their lyrics and their theatrical debuts as they, "reduce reuse and recycle" the thoughts and ideals of the past but not in the way that they were intended. It's not the government that is destroying our nation it is our youth and if we as parents do not do anything to remedy the problem the only way left to go is further down.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 5:30 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Some people view their opportunities differently. Some need someone to do for them. Others prefer to do for themselves.
    myame

Answer by myame at 5:46 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Amen to blakebrm!

We are part of a very silly, undeserving generation because we were raised in the boom years of the 80s and 90s - we're slow to realize that was unusual wealth for America when it was the norm for most of our lives.
    Anonymous

• Sure, there are certain entitlements that are earned and needed. The entitlements I have trouble with are the ones that are called "entitlements" that provide an income, discourage any work, discourage any type of responsibility of any kind for your own life. The entitlements which are painted as a way of getting a "leg up" but really keep the person subjugated to the system. For example, welfare recipients are in danger of losing benefits if they earn even a very small amount. If it is truly a "leg up", the little amount should be deducted after a while. Why is it all or nothing? Most will choose all.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:29 PM on May. 4, 2009

• vets are ENTITLED to the free(although unfortunately crappy) health care and retirement they receive. same goes for active military/firemen/police personel.
    Anonymous