How Do I Get My Daughter To Stop The 'Touchy Feely'

She like to grab people and hug on them and climb all over them. I taught her to keep her hands to herself until she asks the person for permission on certain things. Ansd she does sometimes, but other times she still goes back to doing what she was before. How do i get this rule to stick inher head to where it becomes as second nature to her as saying 'please' and 'thank you'??

Susamii

Asked by Susamii at 2:48 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You need to just remind her every time until she gets it. It takes time to teach them these things, but eventually, it will stick.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:49 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I'd also try a reward chart. You can do it one of two ways:
    Each time she forgets, she gets a strike, too many strikes and she loses her reward for the day.
    OR
    She starts the day with a certain number or stars and loses one each time she forgets - if she still has any stars at the end of the day, she gets reward.
    I like the second one better since kids HATE to see those stars being taken away. It also lets you slowly lower the number of stars she starts the day with so she gets fewer chances to forget before losing that reward.

The reward could be anything - an extra story at bedtime, bubbles in the bath, a cookie after dinner, an extra 15 minutes before bedtime. Whatever will work for your child.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:05 PM on May. 4, 2009

• We have a child that is very exuberant in her hugs. She picks boys up when hugging them!

Her preschool teacher has a talk at circle time that only gentle hugs are now allowed. And when I see some of the kids she likes to hug, I whisper, "Oh look, there's Dylan! Remember we share our gentle hugs with our friends."

It's definatley gotten better. You can even try practicing with her.... show her your gentle hugs and have her show you.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:24 PM on May. 6, 2009