allergy testing

Have you ever had your child allergy tested? Can you tell me what to expect? My 5 year old son is scheduled for testing next week.

He has had hives off and on for 2 years without any apparent trigger (meaning nothing new as far as foods, detergents, soaps, ect.)

The allergist wants to do a skin test. The info I was given said he will get "pricks" on his backs and tiny injections on his arms.

How did your child handle it? And how did YOU handle it? I cried when he got vaccinated, but composed myself quickly. The thought of watching him go through a whole lot of pricks and pokes though makes me want to cry!

And if you for whatever reason don't agree with allergy testing and/or vaccinating - then please move on and don't leave rude comments. Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Allergy testing does not really hurt, but it itches like crazy. It does not take all that long and you might want to have your hubby, or the child's father take him so that you don't have to watch. After they are done, if he reacts, they will give him some benadryl.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:50 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Yes, that's what they will do. My son was 3 when he first got his and they stuck about 10 pricks in his back. They pretty much inject different things into their skin to see what flairs up, what's he's allergic too. Of course it's a scary thing for both mom and child. My son was crying and scared but I remained calm to help him try and calm down. After they prick the child they sit for 20 minutes to see what happens. Since your son is 5 he's old enough to understand what's going to happen. Explain to him in detail why you're doing it and what will happen. He will be fine. Good luck!
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 2:51 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My son has it done twice a year. He doesn't even seem to notice the pricks, esp if you keep his mind something else, like on a book or toy. What he didn't like was the itching associated with some of the test samples. However, usually they will give him some cream afterward to help with the itching. It's really not bad at all (better than getting shots, I think).
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 3:39 PM on May. 4, 2009

• We had my son tested when he was around 8 months old. He has eczema and was having some breathing issues as well. Our pediatrician thought he may have some allergies since he had the other two. They put this plastic thing with tongs in some liquid, then press it on the back. If he is allergic to whatever they are testing for, you'll be able to tell because of the reaction. My son was allergic to dust and the area around the dot was all red and expanded. They put some cream on him afterwards to reduce the itchiness.

Just remain calm, your child doesn't need for you to be freaking out. Our doctors office had a TV and video player in it and asked if he wanted to watch a movie. I just held him and rocked him to sleep (yes, he went to sleep, LOL). Bring some toys, books, anything you think will help with the wait.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 3:52 PM on May. 4, 2009