Introducing a kid into pre school?

I will be enrolling my son, who will be 4 next month, into a private pre-school starting next fall. I have mostly been home with him. He's really only used to his immediate family.

Need some tips from other mommies out there. How did you go about getting your kid to prepare and adjust? I know it's going to just break my heart if he's scared for me to leave him!

mlh1985

Asked by mlh1985 at 2:57 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If possible, take your child to the preschool a week or two before he is suppose to start. See if they will allow him to take a tour or play with the kids for a little bit. Talk to him about becoming a big boy and going to preschool. Get a copy of the schedule he will follow and try to do a few of the activities at that time (ex. art at 9, lunch at 12, etc). Count down the days until he starts by either making a calendar or cutting strips of paper and looping them together to form a chain. Either mark off the day or cut one of the chains until the big day. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:05 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I have been trying to talk to my son (he will be starting 3 y/o preschool in the fall) about how it will be fun. I had him meet his teacher and some of the kids in his class when they held an open house. I have also been telling him about the different activities that they will do, finger painting etc. He is very excited about starting, so it has been working so far.
    Best of luck to you. I would suggest to just keep telling him how fun it will be, and maybe take him to show him around.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 5:00 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Try some play dates. Just little excursions to get him used to other kids. I think by the age of 4 he should do ok, perhaps he will be happy to enteract with "his own kind" and not be around grown ups all the time. Don't borrow trouble Mama, this is most likely going to be harder on you than him.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:37 PM on May. 6, 2009