4 month baby wakes up at night

my 4 month old wakes up at night servel times, just want us to put his binkie back then he falls back to sleep for a hour or so, then wake up again....
I am pretty sure it is NOT teething or heavy daiper or other discomforting, I think he just needs attention and make sure we are there for him.... and we always go and put his binkie back .....
what do I do to make him sleep at least 4 hours span, so that we can get some sleep?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well you can try teaching him to sleep without his binkey, let him get relaxed and comfortable with it then slide it out when his sucking has slowed to intervals, then you can gently hold his chin closed or press underneath his lip, if he fusses put it back in, and repeat (might take a few times.)
    Anonymous

• so you think it is the binkie, it is not that he is trying to get attention, and make sure we all around?
    Wenqi

Answer by Wenqi at 3:06 PM on May. 4, 2009

• if it's cuz he wants the binky, it's more than likely teething. you may not see any teeth coming but it doesn't mean he's not teething. my ds used to do this all the time at that age and got teeth at 6 months. welcome to motherhood, filled with sleeplessness and stress. just wait till he gets in the phase of waking up in the middle of the night and ready for the day. :) wow i'm glad that phase is over!
    Anonymous

• i will try to train him not using binkie tonight, but when I give up in the middle of the night, well, usually around 4-5 am and brought him back to my bed to sleep with me, he sleeps fine?
    Wenqi

Answer by Wenqi at 3:14 PM on May. 4, 2009

• well that's because of the body heat, when you have heat you sleep way better, especially when you also have mommy's scent. maybe you can give him one of your shirts. more than likely he'll still wake up for the binky, at least until you wean him off, but maybe the scent will help. GL
    Anonymous

• Good luck. My son is almost 9 months and still wakes once a night sometimes and can't get himself back to sleep. So he drinks a bottle, snuggles and goes back to bed.....rarely wanting to stay up and play. Like the girl said above ~ those nights they think it's morning. I too then take him to bed with me and settle him down until he falls back asleep. All their wonderful phases
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 3:22 PM on May. 4, 2009

• ok, I will try that as well and see if it works. don't you think baby has seperation issues, cause he slept with me the first 2.5 month in a bassinet next to my bed. then i started to put him to his crib in his own room for the first half part of the night, i put him in when he was sort of awake and i sit next to him till him falling asleep..., he never had problem fall asleep in his own crib, actually he is used to get into his crib every night around 8pm, but he just wakes up all the time, almost 1 hour apart through the night if I dont bring him back to my bed....
    Wenqi

Answer by Wenqi at 3:24 PM on May. 4, 2009

• He is a baby! My daughter was 8 months old before she slept 6 solid hours.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:29 PM on May. 4, 2009

• well, there is alot babies sleep 6 hours straight when they are 2 month old....
    i am not trying to make my baby do whatever others babys do, I am looking for any suggestions that can help me to improve the situation. I just want to give him a healthy sleeping pattern and worndering if there is anything I can impprove...
    Wenqi

Answer by Wenqi at 3:33 PM on May. 4, 2009

• maybe create a night routine? for a while, i had my son on a night routine, i would give him a bath, lotion him up, read him a book, and then lay him down. he got used to it, and that helped out alot, for him to put himself to sleep at night. as for the night time wake ups, at that age i just up and put the binky back in his mouth, if that didn't work, he got a bottle. i know how frustrating it is, i remember every time thinking, ok it's dh's turn now...lol. he would help me out but i did it mostly during the week cuz he had to get up so early for work and i'm a SAHM. when he got to 6 months is when i started letting him cry for a while before i went and made a bottle for him. he eventually started sleeping through the night. do whatever you think you need to do, but in the end, IF it doesn't work, just remember that you decided to be a mom, and with that comes sacrifices. it's not as easy as it looks!
    Anonymous