If you have an advanced (gifted) child....

When did you start to notice your child was ahead of others their age?

We suspect our son is in this category. Do you have any advice for parents who have no idea what to expect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on May. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree with April about expecting trouble due to boredom. It's very common, especially as the classes get slower so "no child is left behind".
    If your child teaches himself to read (no help from you) or teaches himself math (again, no help from you) then you can tell at a very early age. But this isn't "gifted", it's more likely "genius" level.
    If your child reaches milestones early and always seems to learn things earlier than age mates, you can SUSPECT - but "gifted" can't be used accurately until after the kids are partly through 1st grade and everyone is trying to learn the same stuff, at the same rate.
    In the preschool years, kids learn things at vastly different rates with some kids gobbling up the ABC's by age 2 and others not caring until Kindergarten. But by the end of Kindergarten, they all should know roughly the same things. That's when you can start to tell who is learning fast.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:17 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Around age 18 months for both my boys. My 12 year old and 10 are extremely advanced in their classes. I would tell parents of children who are advanced to actually be prepared for trouble in school. Because of boredom with the classes, both of my sons have had issues. My oldest son sees no point in doing homework because he already knows everything they are teaching, and he does so well on his tests and school work so for the longest time we didn't even know he had homework til his teacher said he wasn't turning it in. We then put him in the most advanced classes they offered for his grade, and he is doing better. My 10 year old is so much more advanced than his classmates (not bragging at all here, sorry if it sounds like it) that he reads at an 11th grade reading level and we havent found any age appropriate books on his reading level for him to do his book reports on. He also gets bored easily and he completes his work ....
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:09 PM on May. 4, 2009

• in less than half the time it takes his friends and classmates so he is sitting there in class with nothing to do because he is not allowed to do his homework during class time. During this time, he was getting in trouble talking to other kids and playing around. We finally conferred with his teacher and she started having him do things around the classroom to help her out, like fixing programs on the computers and such. He loves it now!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:11 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I knew way early, because he met all cognitive goals way early. He started talking at 7 months and progressed to the point of full sentences at 12 months and paragraphs at 18 months. He also read early, asked crazy questions that normal babies don't ask. He had imaginary play well before 18 months. If he heard a word he didn't know, he would ask the meaning and use it correctly in a sentence before the week was up. I thought it, but, everyone including pre-school teachers and later head start teachers told me he was way advanced. Then in first grade, the teacher told me she was going to put him in G/T because she realized that when she asked a question, that his answer was way above and beyond other kids. And his I.Q and other Intellegence test scores were way high.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:12 PM on May. 4, 2009

• He also does great on tests and standardized tests, but, is bored in school and doesn't do as good in class or on homework. He also get in trouble for talking in class. He is bored, but, since we are in a different school than he was when he was tested for g/tand because he doesn't make straight A's...this one won't help. So, I am looking into alternative schooling or anything that will help.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:16 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My son has been ahead of his same aged peers since birth. As well as he walks, talks, draws etcetera, you wold think he was a little over 2 rather than 18 months. I try not to brag about how smart he is very often because it frustrates and worries the moms that have normal or slightly slower learners.

Q's father was the same way growing up. the most important thing I think is to not neglect their emotional growth.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 3:19 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Mine did the whole read and math thing...I didn't teach him. He wouldn't let me read to him. We didn't sit down to learn math, yet he could read past his level and add in his head two numbers...He wasn't taught.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:27 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My older son had the same boredom and behavior problems mentioned above. I got very tired of every time I walked into the school his teachers would say he hadn't done his homework or turned in his papers. He just couldn't be bothered. He tested so well that he easily got into a good college that understood why his grades were so poor in high school. Unfortunately his first semester he got put on probation for not getting the grades, and the next semester he was suspended. They told him if he was ready to shape up he could try to get back in. He worked for a few months at a gas station and decided he needed an education, put himself through a semester of community college, got references, re-applied, and did great after that. Working on his second master's now.

Answer by Bmat at 3:40 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I forgot to mention that he had taught himself to read at age 4 and read on the 4th grade level in kindergarten.

Answer by Bmat at 3:42 PM on May. 4, 2009

• We had two awful years (kindergarten and 1st grade) while our daughter was wait-listed for various gifted programs; she was bored out of her mind and disruptive. We did what we could to keep her brain engaged with enrichment classes and educational workbooks and software.
    She is now in 8th grade, in her second year of a six year high school program (the same high school that Michelle Obama attended. She will graduate high school as a college sophmore.
    Feel free to contact me directly.
    -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 4:42 PM on May. 4, 2009