If you breastfed, do you still have milk LONG after they weaned?

I still can express a little milk. My DS weaned 3-1/2 years ago.... I know it is fairly common, but it still seems a little strange, especially after 3 years of no BF.

VeronicaLee

Asked by VeronicaLee at 3:00 PM on May. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's normal! Just so you know I was a total COW...I don't mean that in any derogatory sense at all, I just had SOOOOOOOOOOO much milk. It was 10 years between my babies, and if you sqeezed my nipples at any point between those 10 years you would get milk. I never "dried up", for my body it was like, once it got started it never stopped. I don't know how you are, but I love my breasts fondled during "intimate" encounters, so I think that helps to "keep it intact" per say! It also depends on how long you nursed I think. With my first (I gave her up for adoption) I pumped my milk for her for 1 year, then with my other little girl (2 1/2) she just weaned and I still have enough milk that it hurts, I have to express it in the shower or I become engorged.
    smilinghug

Answer by smilinghug at 4:35 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I still had milk for a while after my son weaned himself. I don't remember how long it took to finally dry up.
    Anonymous

• When mine stopped, the milk stopped almost immedieatly. Then again, he was a month old and wasn't satisfied, so, I might not have had much anyway.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:05 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I stopped when he was 6months and expressed milk til He was almost 3.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 5:29 PM on May. 4, 2009