Do/did you let your teen practice driving much before they got their learner's permit?

My son wants to get his learner's permit this summer. He will be 16 in November,and will probably get his license then. He is always wanting to practice driving, he scares the blazes out of me,and I just don't have the wherewithall to teach him to drive. He can take driver's ed next year, but we did the parent taught course with our daughter,and would prefer to do it with him,also. Any suggestions for me when I ride with him, other than very strong tranquilizers? LOL.

stvmen88

Asked by stvmen88 at 3:02 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• First of all sit very close to him. Don't make the mistake I did. He had a drink and reached for it but he looked down as he did and took us off the road! Yes, its funny only now! Thank Heaven we were out in a developement they were building and using the unused roads on a Sunday. I rode with all four of my kids and taught them things the book doesn't teach. So I think it is important that we are their first teachers in driving too. You were there when he took his first step right? Stay cool and keep your sence of humor. Good luck.
    Ladyelizabet722

Answer by Ladyelizabet722 at 3:17 PM on May. 4, 2009

• It sure does scare the doo doo out of you doesn't it...lol. I have a 16 yo son also. He just got his permit in February and is taking Driver's Ed in school. IMO Driver's Ed doesn't really "teach"...the teacher isn't with the students at all times...and again, IMO, that's not really teaching. For me, I let him drive any time we are together in the car as long as we aren't going long distances or on major highways. At first I thought I was going to panic big time with him behind the wheel but he has been a good listener and pays attention to me when I give him advice. We have only had one scare but other than that he is a very good driver. When it comes time for him to take off on his own is when I will need the traquilizers...lol...I am teaching him that the best driver's are the ones that pay complete attention to the roads AND the cars around him...take it slow, no radio for now & just plain old...pay attention!
    MamaBear5Sons

Answer by MamaBear5Sons at 4:09 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Your instincts are correct. IT IS NOT LEGAL FOR HIM TO DRIVE WITHOUT A LEARNERS PERMIT.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:16 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My parents would let me drive from our house to the end of the street or to my grandma's house (around the block) before I had my learner's permit, and I feel that it helped me learn the basics of driving. Once I had my learner's permit my mother was the one to teach me to drive (mostly). In Ohio when you sign up for driving classes you have to have at LEAST 50 driving hours with a parent to even enroll in the classes or drive with a driving teacher. The driving teacher really doesn't teach you how to drive, they just supervise you. They will take you on the highway, to a downtown area with one way streets, etc. You had better know how to drive before you get in the car with one of them! It is best if the parents teach the child how to drive.
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 4:27 PM on May. 4, 2009

• What's the law in your state? In my state it's illegal to drive without a learners permit and it doesn't make any sense to have a learners permit if you can drive without one anyway.

I'd suggest letting him have a couple of lessons with the driving school first. They have better insurance and an instructor brake. When I learned to drive I had 3 or 4 lessons with the school first before driving my own car, just to get the feel of it before driving any car I cared about.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:10 PM on May. 4, 2009

• On a Sunday, go to a large parking lot of a business that is closed on Sun. Let him practice there. He can mess up and not hurt anything. Put out cones, or boxes and practice braking, parking, 3 point turns - all of it. Then take him out on less busy streets, then busy, then the freeway. Don't forget the freeway.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:35 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My younger 2 sons never drove before getting their temps. They had them for 6 mos. and took driving school before they were allowed to get their licenses. They drove with us often and got plenty of experience. It's against the law to let them drive before they get their permit.
    Anonymous

• Driving without a temp is illegal and if he gets into a wreck, not only will your insurance not pay for anything you will be prosecuted for contributing to the deliquency of a minor. Not a good idea.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:29 PM on May. 7, 2009

• my son turns 15 sunday, but he has been driving since he was 13. i let him drive down by the lake, and out in the country, and when we go camping he does all the driving now. he is an excelent driver when he wants to be. i don't dare let him drive in the big cities at all.
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 9:43 AM on May. 9, 2009

• you should, it will really help, in a big open parking lot though.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 2:07 AM on May. 10, 2009