What questions should I ask a rhumatologist?

My son is five and is going to a rhumatoligist for the first time in two days. His ANA levels were reactive on a blood test so they are sending him to one. I have no idea what reactive means so I am not sure of what i should be asking any help would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on May. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I hope you get some good advice here. But, I would also call your childs doctor and ask him/her the medical terms etc that you dont understand. They should of explained it to you in the first place.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 3:20 PM on May. 4, 2009

• A reactive ANA MAY be sympotomatic of auto immune disorders. Or it may be nothing. It could be a marker for something that might develope later in life. Why did your Dr. order it in the first place? Does your child have pain and sweeling in the joints particularly? A facial rash? Elevated values on others tests such as a Sed Rate (ESR) or Albumin levels? ANA tests are most widely used to look for diagnosis of Lupus. Your child would be abnormally young to have Lupus. I wonder if they are looking for juvinile arthritis? It is very hard to say. In the meantime, take a deep breath until the Dr's tell you something to worry about.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:23 PM on May. 4, 2009