If the father of my unborn child has a criminal record having to do with marijuana and pills, and is or has been on probation recently how does that affect his visitation rights?

I live in middle Tennessee, will the judge be on my side for supervised visits?

mandielynn23

Asked by mandielynn23 at 3:31 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• He will more than likely request him take parenting classes first and then go from there. It depends on the charges he has as a convicted felon is treated differently in court than someone with a criminal record. Has he served his jail time and remained on the straight and narrow? If he hasn't had any other charges recently and he did not or is not violating his probation they will let him see his child. Get a custody order that clearly states he has to be in a drug free home.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:38 PM on May. 4, 2009

• is he not allowed to see the baby? I mean like is he in jail or do you have a restraining order against him or by court order is he not allowed to see you? if none of these apply I dont see why he cant see his baby!
    Anonymous

• I don't know how it works in Tenn but in Texas them having a criminal record has nothing to do with their parental rights. If they are a sex offender then that's a differet story. Just because he's done drugs, sold drugs, etc won't make him a baby parent according to many courts.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 3:54 PM on May. 4, 2009