BABY CEREAL

I have a beautiful baby girl and she will be 5 months on May the 6th. Since birth she would wake for a bottle at night but after she was burped went right back to sleep.....Thank God!!! I was told by other mothers that if you put a little cereal in the bottle the baby would sleep through the night. Well I started about 3 weeks ago and she will still wake at least once throughout the night for a bottle. Does it depend on the child or does cereal really not make a baby sleep through the night?......................Not that I mind my child wakes to eat at night I know that is a part of motherhood but I was just curious..............

jordynmommy08

Asked by jordynmommy08 at 3:47 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cereal will not make them sleep all night. Its a matter of age, and the amount the eat during the day. I would feed her more often during the day and then give her a bigger bottle at night. The cereal in the bottle is a old wives tale. We tried it and it never worked and 3 out of 4 pediatricians told us it wouldn't work.
    Anonymous

• They will not sleep until they are ready to. My slept all night at 7 months. But, it had nothing to do with how much he was fed or how many bottles...nothing. He just was ready to sleep all night. And cereal in the bottle don't do nothing except help Ruflux babies sometimes. Not even all them are helped by it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:53 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I mean 3 months. He slept all night at 3 months.
    BradenIsMySon

• My lil girl will be 5 months on the 6th also!!! We have been giving her cereal in her bottle for acid reflux since she was 6 weeks.....and it doesnt really do alot for her sleeping......we give our lil girl half a jar of stage one sweet potatoes.....and she usually eats about a 5 ounce bottle and sleeps for quite a while at night.
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 4:32 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Cereal is carbs, carbs raise blood sugar and in fact cause a drop and then a sudden rise of energy...so cereal can keep them up..
    OH and cereal in a bottle is dangerous
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:45 PM on May. 4, 2009

• THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR ANSWERS!! I AM A FIRST TIME MOM AND I HAVE ALOT OF QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS..........HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU ALL SOON
    jordynmommy08

Answer by jordynmommy08 at 6:00 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My daughter was the same way at 4months old. Everyone kept telling me that she'll start sleeping through the night at 3 months and she didn't. When I went to her 4 month check up her doctor told me not to feed her when she wakes up in the middle of the night because she can go without it at this point. The only reason she woke up is because that's what she knows. I tried it she woke up the first two night and that was it after. She's been sleeping through the night since.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 8:42 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Scientific studies show that cereal does NOT help baby to sleep, and cereal in the bottle can be dangerous. Read this article: Baby Bottles and Cereal 

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against adding cereal to the bottle. You will find lots of moms who gave baby cereal in the bottle (for reflux, or because they wanted to) and their baby is now "fine". Just because their baby did not have a negative reaction does not mean that your baby won't.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:06 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My mom told me to do the same thing, so I asked my ped about it and he said the whole cereal making your baby sleep through the night thing was an old wives tale. I never tried it for myself, but my daughter slept through the night pretty much every night by the time she was three months old..I got real lucky:) I don't think it would hurt your baby, but it won't make her sleep though the night.
    Sophia_L

Answer by Sophia_L at 2:27 PM on May. 9, 2009