My babies junk?

is swollen. The skin around it has become red and looks swollen. I try my best to keep everything clean down there, so I'm not sure what to do. I put Vaseline on it this morning and it still doesn't look better. By the way he's 5 months old, please help me not worry that it's not anything serious and let me know how to fix it!

ours

Asked by ours at 4:00 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• have you examined it to make sure maybe there isnt a hair or anything around it? has he been pulling on it? is it just the junk thats red or does it look like a diaper rash in other areas? for now dont overclean the area with wipes, maybe just try some water, unless the wipes you use are unscented or for "sensitive skin". when you give him a bath sprinkle in some baking soda. if it gets worse or doesnt get any better call the dr.! and continue with the vaseline!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:03 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Take him to the doctor just to be safe. If he has a problem like that with his penis it could be a urinary tract infection or a number of other issues. Get him checked out if you're worried.
    Anonymous

• I have no idea. But I would be worried and take him to the Dr.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 4:03 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Does he have a scratch or anything on it? Maybe for your nails or a ring or something while you were bathing him? Has he gone swimming or anything that a bug could have bit him? Does he seem to be crying in pain? Is the area hot and or leaking any fluids? If not its probably just a rash or a small cut from your nails or a ring or even the wash cloth could have rubbed it raw in the area. If you notice the area is hot, swelling more, turning any other color or you notice any discharge or oder call the doctor.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 4:04 PM on May. 4, 2009

• When I change his diaper I pull the skin back to clean everywhere and it's just the skin, his actual thing is fine and there's no rash, just swollen and red. :[ He doesn't even realize that he has one so he doesn't pull on it. Poor guy I hope it doesn't hurt. I'm gunna google urinary tract infections for babies right now.
    ours

Answer by ours at 4:06 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Just keep putting stuff on it and let it heal may take a few days...try not to worry
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 4:07 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Is he circumcised? If he's not you should not be pulling it back to clean it. If he is, take him in to have him looked at and keep up with the Vaseline for now.
    Anonymous

• aaah dont pull back the skin! thats probably whats doing it. it's irritating the skin.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:19 PM on May. 4, 2009

• sorry i don't have a boy so i wouldn't know what to do.. I would cal his doctor and see what they say
    WifeandMommy06

Answer by WifeandMommy06 at 4:20 PM on May. 4, 2009

• The doctor was the one who told me to pull back the skin and clean it. He is circumcised, it's just the area around. I don't know it's hard to explain. For now I'll just keep putting Vaseline on it and leave it alone besides that.
    ours

Answer by ours at 4:25 PM on May. 4, 2009