Growing chamomile?

What's the best way to grow chamomile - do I have to start it indoors, or can I plant it directly to my garden? What's the best time to do that if I do it in the spring? I've not grown it before but really would love to have some in my herb garden. Thanks!

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 4:09 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• My husband started my plants from seed in Feb last year. Started them in a window. (I say they were my plants because he grew them for me) Then in the spring he transplanted them into a terracotta pot outside. Watered every other day. And when it would bloom he would pick the flowers. (While he was walking through the yard from a hard days work) He would then take the blooms and thread them with a needle and thread. And hang them up in his den to dry. When they were dry he stored them in a ventilaed box. And when I wanted tea I would take them out and boil for a few minutes. Best tea you ever had. This man started the seeds in the middle of winter and picked theblooms every night after working all day and had the patince to thread them every night and let them dry. Just so I could have a cup of tea. Am I lucky or what? I told my niece " dont ever date or marry a man who will not grow camimille for you."
    chedhead

Answer by chedhead at 12:49 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Are you starting it from a seed?
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 4:22 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I'm doing whatever more experienced growers tell me is best. ;-) I do start most of my herbs from seed, and I start them right in the garden... but if that's pretty difficult with chamomile then I won't.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:32 PM on May. 4, 2009

• It shouldn't matter. I'm not real familiar with it, but I would just grow it like you do the rest of your herbs. There should be a tag with the plant on something on the back of the seed packet that tells you exactly what to do. I used to work for a nursery for over five years. If you would like I can do some research and get back to you. Just PM me!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 5:58 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I grow it in a pot from seed every year it is a little late but give it a try I am in zone 7 it grows like a weed I clip the flowers when in full bloom for tea
    CSRodriguez

Answer by CSRodriguez at 5:19 PM on May. 5, 2009