As a Christian, do you believe masturbation is a sin?

I am a Christian, but I struggle with this. I want to know your thoughts and opinions as fellow Christians.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know of any where in the Bible where it talks about what we refer to as masterbation. I do know that the Bible encourages purity and holy thinking as opposed to lustful thoughts and unclean sexual thoughts.

I think most people who are masterbating are thinking dirty thoughts and maybe looking at pornographic images, and that would be the sin of lust. But maybe some people aren't.

I would ask God to tell you if you are thinking thoughts that are unpleasing to Him. If He tells you it is something you need to give up then He will give you the strength to do it.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:15 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I've always heard masturbation is a normal and healthy thing. Plus, in some cases it's better to relieve yourself, than the alternative, to relieve yourself with another, in sinful acts.

~heather~
    heathertilton08

Answer by heathertilton08 at 4:37 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Personally, I do think of it as a sin because it makes me uncomfortable and opens the door to temptation.

Now if we were talking mutual masterbation (between husband and wife) I don't think there is a problem as long as it is kept to the marital bed. I don't like that either though. lol Just too gross for me. Good thing my DH isn't into the masterbation thing either.
    Anonymous

• I personally don't think it is a sin. However I only do it with my husband & he the same. We do it together or to each other I would say. I don't think that it would be a sin or if some people do I just don't see it. It doesn't say it in the bible anywhere that I know of
    momwifelove

Answer by momwifelove at 5:03 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I was asking because of I Corinthians 7:4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise, the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.

Do you think this is talking about masturbation?
    Anonymous

• I don't think that the act itself is wrong but sometimes the thoughts you have while your doing it are wrong...like if your fantasizing about someone other than your SO.

Anonymous

• I looked up the scripture quoted above. If you read the verses above verse 4 you will see that Paul is talking about not depriving your spouse of sex. The fact is we humans are tempted sexually all the time. If we are not having intercourse or some other form of physical touch with our spouse it can cause us to fall into temptation. So based on that, I would say it isn't. Be very careful that you keep the two activities separate and are not depriving your spouse.
    Anonymous

• Not when you're doing it with your husband, that's a mutual, married, intimacy.

By yourself - yes.
    Anonymous

• If you're thinking of your partner and they are otherwise unavailable then it's fine. If you're doing it instead of doing it with your partner when they're available and interested then it's not servicing your partner. If you're fantasizing about someone else while either masturbating or doing the deed with your spouse then that's cheating.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:07 PM on May. 4, 2009

• IMO if god only wanted you to enjoy sex with your husband; and not also by yourself, then you would not have the ability to reach orgasm without a penis/penetration. And since many women need "hands on" stimulation; even while with their husbands, then I don't think bringing yourself to an orgasm would be considered sinful.

If god didn't want you to enjoy your body to the fullest (both with a partner AND by yourself) then he would've just given us mating seasons like the animals. Especially since humans are able to connect on an emotional level without sex. That IMO, proves that god WANTS you to enjoy all aspects of sex and masturbation. God gave you a clit for a reason! Divine planning (if you believe in that) at its finest!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:12 PM on May. 4, 2009