If I supplement will he go back?

My son is a week old.. If I supplement formula will he not go back to the breast or does it just depend??
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why risk it? This is when nursing is crucial. He may prefer the ease of the bottle over the breast or it's still possible to get nipple confusion. I say, stay away from bottles and formula...it would probably upset his system anyway.
    Anonymous

• If you can avoid giving a bottle or any food from anything but the breast for the first 6-8 weeks it best...nipple preference, supply issues, and latch issues all come from giving suppliments and bottles early.

If this is a supposed supply issue, feel free to send me a message maybe I can help. Lots of time doctors say you need to suppliment and there no need too...theya re NOT trained in BFing. Ask a IBCLC before supplimenting!!!!!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:35 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I didn't get enough from day one, and it never enough, so i have to suppliment. my baby takes both, and it is easier when you want to stop BF and transfer him to formula....
    Wenqi

Answer by Wenqi at 4:38 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Wengi-why would you WANT to stop BFing and transfer to formula....why not BF til 12 months and never transfer to formula?
    Anonymous

• Do not start any supplementation until your milk supply is well established. If your goal is to get a night out, then you can pump (best to do this before nursing) and freeze the breast milk.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:52 PM on May. 4, 2009