carseat question

My LO is about to turn 1 in a few days, can I go ahead and turn the car seat now, or do I have to wait for the actual day??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO NO NO...please understand that FFing is not a milestone...the MINIMUM is 1 year and 20lbs....BUT every carseat on the market says the best use of the seat is to rearface to the maximum of the seat..which is usually 35lbs and 36-50 inches...keep your baby safely RFing as long as possible..heres why

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8

I promise no scary pictures or sob stories...just info

and here
    http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4209/Car_Seat_Safety:_Rear-facing_is_safest.htm
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:39 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I have the evenflo triumph, 1 of the best seats on the market!
    Anonymous

• If you have the evenflo Triumph you can Rearface to atleast 35lbs and 36 inches...maybe more...check out the links above..its only safe if your child is ready..

the american academy of pediatrics now recommends RFing to age 2..the laws just don't match their recommendations yet...thats YET
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:44 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I agree with tabi_cat. It's best to leave them rear-facing for as long as possible. It's so much safer, 75% safer to be exact.

Check out the links she gave you, seriously, it will definitely change your view of turning your baby around to forward facing.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 5:51 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Dont turn your baby around. RF'ing is safest,and in my opinion not a "debateable" issue. Look at the facts.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 6:06 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I would rear-face until your child outgrows the seat. The laws aren't up to date... the AAP says 2 years should be the minimum (and longer is even better if you can)
    After I learned about the benifits I plan to keep my son rear facing until he outgrows his seat!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:17 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Some states have a law stating that you MUST wait until the baby is 1 year old. Others do not. Check out your state law. I turned my oldest around 1 week after his 1st birthday.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:04 PM on May. 4, 2009

• NO NO NO NO NO!!! Rear facing is the safest place for him and all states say 20 lbs AND 1 year MINIMUM. The AAP actually recommends 2 years before forward facing. For me our car seat went to 35 lbs rear facing and 36 inches. With my first he was 36 inches at 19 months and go turned and my second hit the 36 inches just last month at 22 months old and got turned.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:19 PM on May. 4, 2009