Am I the only mom who gets impatient with her baby?

I find myself, every once in a great while, getting impatient with my 10 month old. Mainly when she wakes up at night and won't go back to sleep, or won't nap during the day and I depend on that nap for a break. I feel sooooo guilty about this. I find myself saying to her, "Just go to sleep." I pick her up right away and rock her, I am not yelling, or physical, but I know she feels my frustration. I feel guilty I am not more compassionate at that time.

travelgal

Asked by travelgal at 4:36 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm the same way with my 18 month old son. He has recently stopped taking naps. lol. It's okay to need a break every now and again.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 4:38 PM on May. 4, 2009

• You're so not alone.

Everyone gets frustrated, even those that claim to be "perfect." There's no such thing as a perfect mom.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:38 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I was the same way with my daughter when she was a baby of only months. old all you can do is try to be patient with the baby .and try to deal with it as best you can. Athough my baby did all her sleeping during the day so maybe she wasn't sleepy at night.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 4:47 PM on May. 4, 2009

• trust me your mot alone!!

i have to leave the room when i cant take my kids any more < 3 and 9 months>

sometimes its ok to let them cry for a little break!!

if i can still hear them in my bedroom i out on headphones and watch the monitor and take a 5 min music break
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 5:26 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I don't get impatient. Maybe its because he is good or maybe b/c I wasn't supposed to be able to have children and then at 39 I got pregnant. Its like a gift from G-d to me that I am soooo thankful for. I just really don't take it for granted I want it to go by real slow because once they grow up thats it.
    Anonymous

• You're not alone. I get that way sometimes too... especially if I am over tired and he's being a crab.
    Sometimes I call my mom to just vent about it. When I really feel overwhelmed I put him in his crib for awhile and take a few minutes to myself.... usually he goes to sleep then anyway because he was over tired.
    And sometimes we just get out of the house... it's good for both of us!!

if it's night time wakings (which he does ALL the time) DH and I take turns... or sometimes bring him to bed with us.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:22 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I totally understand! my DS is on active duty and Im buy myself and have to be to work at butt o clock in the morning so yeah frustrating sometimes I just leave him in his crib and go outside and let the air cool me off then I feel better and can take care of bussiness
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 6:30 PM on May. 4, 2009

• You are so not alone in your feelings! I believe ALL moms feel this way during parenthood whether they want to admit it or not.
    It is difficult being a parent. You want your child to do certain things and usually a certain way, especially when you are on a schedule, tired, or have other things that need to get done.
    I'm glad to hear that you are aware of your frustration and also aware that you don't take it out on your child. You are a good and loving mommy!

I was the same way with my 3 daughters. I was always frustrated and uptight. Now they are older teens and my oldest daughter (age 20) is a new mommy and lives with us and I am having a blast being a Grammy! I have such calm and peace over me when I am caring for my granddaughter everyday.

Big hugs for you!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:34 PM on May. 4, 2009

• EVERYONE gets impatient...its just another part of motherhood. and funny how the one who claims to be perfect is anon!! Dont worry so much....feed her, make sure nothing is wrong and take a tiny break....you deserve it and it will help both of you.
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 6:42 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I appreciate all the support. We just moved to a new area and know not a soul, so hearing from all of you mothers had helped me tremendously. I always thought I was so patient (I was a Special Needs Teacher for 12 years), but every once and a while- impatience hits. I love my daughter and would give her the moon if she asked. I have to remind myself that I am only human. Thank you again.
    travelgal

Answer by travelgal at 9:33 PM on May. 4, 2009