How do I keep the skunks from my garden?

I have a small garden around my front walkway (my only plantable space) and skunks seem to come around it all summer long. So far they haven't caused any damage to it, so I'm not worried about my basil --- but my Dh leaves for work at night, right when they are investigating the scenery... it's basically just a matter of time before he opens the front door to head off to work, startles a skunk, and ends up sprayed. As it is, we're headed to the part of the year where in order to go he has to poke his head out cautiously and tiptoe to the car with a prayer on his lips. LOL

At any rate, is there anything I can do to discourage our stinky friends from hanging around?

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 4:40 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Moth Balls!Try it,trust me.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 9:19 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Have your husband "mark" his territory. I read this years ago when I had a family of skunks living in my back yard and it worked!!
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 4:44 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I don't know if he would do that... we don't have a private front yard. LOL
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:56 PM on May. 4, 2009

• people hair and urine is soppose to work for deer I bet it would work for shunks
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 1:55 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Apparently skunks digging in your garden means that you have grubs.  That is what they are after, and they are just as bad for your garden.  So if you treat the grubs, the skunks should stop coming around.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:26 PM on May. 5, 2009