What was the most difficult thing you had to deal with when your baby was born?

With all the worries new moms have to face such as sleep deprivation and SIDS I wonder what are the biggest ones.

Sammieanne

Asked by Sammieanne at 4:41 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My in-laws. They live 16 hours away and was here for the birth and a week afterwords all staying in my 1100 sqft house (6 extra people). My MIL was mad b/c I didn't want her in the room for the birth and was a bitch to my mom b/c she could be and was rude to all my friends and when I let her in the room for a little bit when contractions weren't so bad, she was talking bad about the hospital I had my baby at and was telling all the nurses they were doing everything wrong (she's not even a nurse) and then when I got home, my inlaws wouldn't let me hold my own baby saying I'll get to spend as much time as I want w/her, but they have to leave. Then, they rearranged my house w/out my permission!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 4:45 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My son was born 3 months early, and it was difficult for me having him up at a hospital in Seattle, when I wasn't even discharged yet, after having him, went every day up there to see him, till he got to come home.
    Anonymous

• when my daughter had collic. she wailed like no tomorrow.the poor thing was in so much pain' and so uncomfortable with her tummy hurting so bad. .
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 4:54 PM on May. 4, 2009

• When he would nurse for hours on end, yet, sleep for thirty minutes. Then right back up to nurse again for two or more hours. I swtched to bottle and had no issues till he was a teen.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:02 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Sleep deprivation. I do NOT do well when awakened constantly all night long. Throw PPD, reflux, and colic on top of it and you have a year of living hell.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:03 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I'd say the worst part of it all was the labor. Lol. Other than that, it was our first night home with her, and we got no sleep that night. She cried from the time we laid down (which we got right back up) until 5 in the morning, and my mom came over from 5-9am just so we could get a couple hours of sleep. Of course I felt stupid when all my mom did was swaddle her, and she went straight to sleep for her. But it was scary for me because she didn't want to eat or sleep, she was clean, etc etc, but was screaming like she was hurt or scared or something. But after she got swaddled she passed right out.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 5:23 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Personally right after he was born I was readmitted to the hospital for an infection... so that was the biggest stress.
    But later on... we had some breastfeeding issues that we had to work though.... and that was a big stressor.
    And now... sleep issues... he's 9 months and still wakes at night... and I have always been one that NEEDS sleep... when he was little I just kept telling myself it would get better and I could just wait a couple more months... but now, who knows when he will start sleeping! And he is worse now than when he was a newborn *sigh*
    But he is all worth it... I love him so much!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:12 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Recovering from having my body cut open. Its been almost 9 months and I still have a long way to go both mentally and physically. I honestly don't know if I will ever fully recover from what I was put through.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 6:16 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I had a HORRIBLE delivery that really scarred me. We also had a really tough time with nursing (because of the delivery) that we eventually worked out, but it took a good 6 weeks to charge through it. I had AWFUL PPD because of all of this. My labor was horrible. My water broke before I had contractions, and I had to do everything in my power not to get Pitocin. Then my son was in a bad position, causing back labor, so I had an epidural (I wanted to go natural). They ended up giving me pit when I got stuck at 8cm. Then when I was pushing, my son's heart stopped, and I ended up having an emergency c-section. Turns out, his cord was wrapped twice around his torso. Fortunately, he was healthy and beautiful, and we could just focus on bonding and nursing.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:18 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Worrying if I was doing everything right - I didn't want to hurt my baby so I was so unsure about everything.
    Lack of sleep! That was the worst for me!

When I had my second baby my husband helped me during the nights she wouldn't sleep and I felt more at ease about caring for her.
    With my third baby I was able to handle the nights better and I felt like a pro at caring for her...lol.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:21 PM on May. 4, 2009