If you had a 4X6 area for a garden...

and no more than that, what would you choose to plant?

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 4:44 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Personally I would do herbs such as parsley, sage, cilantro, rosemary, thyme, oregano, ( fresh herbs are so expensive ) tomatoes, garlic, corn, ( your favorite vegetables that are the most expensive to buy.) I personally wouldn't do lettuce, beans or onions because they are relatively cheap at farmer's markets. It depends on what area of the country you live in. I couldn't find an okra plant here in Oregon no matter how hard I tried.

CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 3:31 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Are we talking vegetables? I'd do my favs, prob some tomatoes, brussels sprouts, lettuce...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:46 PM on May. 4, 2009

• "Are we talking vegetables?"

Whatever you would choose to plant! :-)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:58 PM on May. 4, 2009

• peppers, tomatoes, herbs, if you do vines, you'll have to make something they can climb on. But you COULD do cucumbers, summer squash, green beans, okra. I have done a lot of stuff in a smaller spot that 4 X 6. Lettuce is good becuase it grows back after you cut it down. Think of your favorite vegetables....4 X 6 is a good space to grow some different things. It's not huge, but i have grown quite a bit in a smaller space.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:59 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I have a small spot that I have used in the past and planted leaf lettuce, radishes, tomaotes, peppers, corn, broccoli, caabbage, zucchini and cucumbers.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 7:32 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I would shy away from corn as it will take a great deal of your space, you really need a space that large or larger to really get some good corn. Also, some things tens to spread out and would need to be put on the periphery, and trained to go a certain direction, or they will take over your garden and you can lose everything else you planted (cucumbers, squash, pumpkins). Try to go for plants that grow UP like tomatoes (get a few tomato cages too), peppers and okra. Lettuce and cabbage are great as well. Broccoli prefers cooler weather so if you live in a place that's going to be cooler for awhile, go for it but if you are in the south, it might be better to plant it towards the end of the season (that's what we have to do because it gets too hot too fast here). Herbs are also a great idea. Basil, oregano, thyme are fairly easy to grow. Good luck! Hope this helps!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on May. 5, 2009

• tomatoes can also be put in pots to save the room
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 1:54 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Great answers! My area is a bit larger than that (about 7X7 in all) and at least for now, herbs are my plants of choice. Sage, parsley, cilantro, lavender, oregano, basil, bee balm, etc. I always wonder what others choose to do with limited space.

It is in front of my apt, along the front walkway. Does that change what you would plant there, or would you still go with vegetables? I get a feeling that if I tried to grow peppers they management would be irked. Tomatoes and greens I can get away with, but those I'll probably grow in containers in back.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 8:48 PM on May. 5, 2009