How do I know if he's just teething or if he's really sick?

So the SO && I have been arguing all day cause my son woke with a fever of 101.6. My SO says he's just teething cause he's been having diarrhea too, but I'm not so dismissive. How do I know if I really should be concerned?

Blueberryplz

Asked by Blueberryplz at 4:45 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that is not really a HIGH fever although it is one that needs to be watched closely. it is possible he is teething because with teething you do have fevers and diarrhea. is he drooling a lot or putting his hands in his mouth or objects that he is chewing on? if so then yes he is teething.and just because you dont see a tooth coming through doesnt mean he is not teething. but if you think it is something else then take him to the doc. use that mothers instinct.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:48 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Give him the lowest dose of baby Motrin, and rub his gums for a little while. If it relieves the pain and he calms down, then he is just teething. He could also have a stomach bug (thus the diarhea and fever). If all else fails, take him to the pedi.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 5:19 PM on May. 4, 2009

• He sounds sick to me even though its not a high fever Im a preventative matainance type girl so I would take him to the doctor becuase of the diarhea, I would rather be safe than sorry.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 6:06 PM on May. 4, 2009

• That sounds like sick to me. Teething will cause a low grade fever, drooling, crying (teething hurts!), and sleeping and feeding changes. I give my son teething tablets, or Camilia drops (homeopathic remedies) before giving Tylenol for teething, but I would take your son in, with the diarrhea. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:13 PM on May. 4, 2009

• diarrhea is completely normal in teething...i am not lying to you..both of my kids get it when they teeth.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:29 PM on May. 4, 2009