Bedroom color?

I have a red comforter with black design on it and red silk sheets. My hubby wants to paint our room red, I just dont know if that will look good or not. Any advice?

jen_wikstrom

Asked by jen_wikstrom at 4:47 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Home & Garden

• i think red is a very bold color. especially if it is a dark red like burgundy or crimson. but blue would also look good a dark blue. royal blue.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:49 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I think instead of painting the walls a bold/dark color, I would "soften" the boldness of your bedding set, by painting the walls a warm cream color, and buying red, black (or coordinating) panels and/or valances to match. Then add a coordinating area rug and lamp shades. Perhaps you can find a border paper that incorporates the colors or theme of your room, and set it at either chair rail height (3 feet from the floor) or 2/3 of the way up the wall (about 2 feet from the ceiling), and possibly a collection of prints or wall art that compliments your decor.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:56 PM on May. 4, 2009

• No on the red with red bedding. Go with something else, like a cream or if you have alot of light go with a coffee or eggplant color, but again you need alot of light to pull that off.
    Anonymous

• How about one red accent wall,and do the rest in an eggshell white?
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:26 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Tan. But you have to choose wisely. Don't go with one with a lot of red undertones, any red in the room will make it look pink. They have little pots of colors to try, so you don't buy a color you really don't like. I think a nice tan, not cream, but tan will make the black and red pop. And pictures in black frames look really nice against tan.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 7:53 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Is it a warm orange red or a cool blue red? If it has warm base I would use a cream color. If it is a cool red then I would go with Grey. The artist in me hates when people mix warm and cools.

You can always paint one accent wall opposite the bed in red. Just make sure that the reds match exactly. I will tell that all reds are not the same. Reds can clash badly. Take the comforter in to home depot or lowe's and have them do a color match on their computer.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 7:54 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Yea man dont go red that would clash badly!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 8:56 PM on May. 4, 2009

• It realy depends on what kind of light you have. Natural light will make the color look different than artificial light. And also keep in mind what kind of sheen you want. The higher the sheen the more light will reflect and the more light that reflects will lose alot of the color due to the reflection. And that one person said use an eggshell white. What color is eggshell White. White is a color and eggshell is a sheen. And dont think that eggshell is just an off white. There are hundreds of combinations of off white. I think she may have meant an off white that would be a L-4 or L-8. That means you will use either 4 or 8 parts of an ounce of the L colorant in a gallon of white base paint. It will take the starkness out as well as give you better coverage. Do not take your color to be matched to lowes or home depot. The people who work at the paint counter have probally been promoted from the garden section.
    chedhead

Answer by chedhead at 12:03 AM on May. 5, 2009

• They say never paint your bedroom red unless you want to have alot of arguments in it. Red is a very emotional color. Very passionate. With your red and black decor, I'd choose a light gray wall or something more subtle. What if you decide to change your bedding? That's what I always think of.
    MAMAMISTY33

Answer by MAMAMISTY33 at 10:40 AM on May. 5, 2009