How are premature babies caused?

Like, what will cause prematurity?

QueenMommy1991

Asked by QueenMommy1991 at 5:02 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Like the first poster said, there are TONS of reasons why babies can be born premature...and sometimes it just happens for no apparent reason at all.
    Smoking, drinking, doing drugs, not getting enough nutrients, and not being in good health to begin with are some reasons why a baby might be born premature. Having gestational diabetes and high blood pressure during pregnancy can also cause some babies to be born premature. Also an incompetent cervix, a cervix that cannot hold the weight of the baby and opens prematurely, can also cause this as well.
    However you can be in perfect health and you can do everything right during your pregnancy and still have a preemie.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:27 PM on May. 4, 2009

• well sometimes these are just flukes of nature. and some are the risk factors that you have going on like smoking, drinking, being irresponsible during your pregnancy. like doing things like lifting heavy objects, and sometimes they are genetic. chromosomal problems. there are a number of things. this list could go on and on and on.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:07 PM on May. 4, 2009

• my twins were born at 26 weeks, multiple birth can cause prematurity, but also my cervix is incompetent, if i get pregnant again i might need something to hold me closed

most of the time its unknown why a baby is born early, just take good care of yourself its all u can do
    ARRI23

Answer by ARRI23 at 5:17 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Mine was premature due to my health. I had hypertension before I got pregnant, Gestational Diabetes,and at the end I have Pre-Eclampsia. The only cure for Pre-E is delivery. If Pre-E is sever it can cause seizures or death.

DD was born at 34 w 3 days and spent 3 weeks in NICU. She is 9 months old today and doing great....just tiny!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 5:23 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My son was born at 26 weeks, I was told because of placenta privia. He is 4 1/2 now, and healthy. I don't know what could be other factors, I never have smoked. I live in Wa. State, and was told that it has the highest rate of premature births.
    Anonymous

• I had my 23 week preemie due to developing H.E.L.L.P. Syndrome. The only cure for it is to deliver the baby. However, there are so many reasons that can cause prematurity, it would really be hard to list them all. Some are caused by a condition that is affecting the baby and some are conditions that affect the mother's physical body make up such as an incompetent cervix, or an illness or condition such as high BP or something like that. That is why it is so important to get prenatal care as soon as you know you're pregnant. Doing that can really cut down on the risk of having a premature baby.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 5:54 PM on May. 4, 2009