What would you do if your child came home and told you point blank they had sex for the first time?

Vanessannd

Asked by Vanessannd at 5:02 PM on May. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• If it was a daughter I'd make sure she was under the care of a gynecologist and was using a safe form of birth control. I would also talk to her about the values that I would like her to have.

If it was a son, I'd talk about the responsibilities of having sex, the strong likelihood that he'd become a father, with all the responsibilities this would mean, about STDs, and about using a condom.

Answer by Bmat at 5:07 PM on May. 4, 2009

• How old is said kid?

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:09 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I had a 17 yr old that did exactly that. We had had all the appropriate conversations before that. He just walked in and said Mom can we talk in your office. "talk in your office' was code in my house for I want your undivided, private attention. I was disappointed that he hadn't waited. At the same time I was glad he waited as long as he did. He assured me he used a condom. We went ovver the 'it isn't just for pregnancy it could protect your life' This was when AIDS always took your life., that is not necessarily true anymore.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:18 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Smack him in the mouth.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 5:23 PM on May. 4, 2009

• WOW, real compassionate answer there. It isn't like you can change it.
    Anonymous

• I just hope when my boys get to that age that they tell myself or their father. It's not something that can be changed so I guess I would talk to them about using protection. I became pregnant with my first son at age 18 and I wouldn't wish that for them. Don't get me wrong I LOVE my boys and becoming prego straightened my act up, but I will always want the best for my children as any other parent would.
    TaylorBoysMommy

Answer by TaylorBoysMommy at 5:47 PM on May. 4, 2009

• It completely depends on the age and the context of that sexual encounter.
    Anonymous

• If they were a married adult, I'd say "congratulations."

If they were in any way raped or pressured, regardless of age, the other person is going to have hell to pay.

If they were not married, and had sex with their love interest, I'd sit down with them and have a long, serious, talk about what true love really is, and how it doesn't use other people's bodies for pleasure without first pledging your life and soul to them in marriage.
    Anonymous

• Choke and then have a talk to him about protection, responsibility and respect. Then I would tell him to NEVER tell me again, when he has sex. I would show him where the condoms will be kept and mysteriously refilled.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:04 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I found out about my 15 year old daughter by a text message that her boyfriend sent her on her phone saying that she was his "preg. baby" I was speechless and I asked her about it and she told me it was only one time and they used protection but she didnt have a period for 2 months. I talked to her and him and told him I cant change what happened but if it happens again he may not have a man hood left by time I get finished with him. I told her that if she wanted to throw her teen life away by having a baby then she would take care of it and still go to school and find some kind of work to support it. Now she tells me that she wants to have sex again but she knows she has to wait. I dont know if she is or isnt but I would hope that I taught her some kind of diginity.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 9:34 PM on May. 4, 2009