How do I get my toddler to stop whining for cookies?

At least ONCE a morning, she comes into the kitchen for breakfast and SCREAMS for cookies and will not stop crying for them. I have NEVER given her cookies in the morning, and I offer her many different breakfast items. Her tantrum lasts about 10-15 unbearable minutes. I've walked out of the kitchen and let her cry sometimes but she always has a tantrum. What can I do?

Asked by Kersten at 9:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Eliminate cookies all together until she is older. In my opinion only. If its not there to have she can't throw a fit over it. When you are out or she is especially good perhaps a cookie on occasion would be appropriate. If you want a little sweets at home try some fruit salad with a little cool whip... very sweet and nutritious and if she asks for it in the morning you can give it to her with some vanilla yougart and she thinks she has a treat, and you know instead she is eatting a nutritious snack. :O) Hope this helps.

Answer by jabakasupergirl at 9:26 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Peace dear try to buy healthy ones take them to a healthy store and let them pick them out

Answer by practicingislam at 9:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• hmmmmm soak a cookie in tobascco overnight let it dry give it to her in the morning and she'll never ask for cookies again? No seriously.....Eliminate cookies ALL together. And let her throw the tantrum. Put her in time out. Stick to your guns. Who's the adult in the house? You? or her?

Answer by vbruno at 10:41 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• make your own cookies, like oatmeal cookies.. you know what you have put into them, you can cut back on the sugar or use fruit in the cookies instead of sugar so they are still sweet but naturally, and then she can have cookies for breakfast, that works great for me.

Answer by 4weeman at 10:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Does she know what time outs are? My 2 y/o gets sent to his room when he whines or throws a fit. Then we tell him to come out when he is done having his moment. I would NOT give in if your not wanting her to have a cookie.

Answer by Navy_Wife_Tisha at 3:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2008