BREAST IS BEST?

A British mother plunged to her death from a New York apartment block after she became depressed about her baby not breastfeeding, an inquest has heard.
Katy Isden, 30, died instantly after falling from the top of the 20-floor building on November 3, 2008.
An inquest into Mrs Isden's death heard how she had become depressed four months after giving birth to her son Benjamin because she was having problems getting her child to breastfeed.

She clearly had PPD. But, its clear that the pressure to breastfeed affected her to this point. I feel so bad for her.

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN PEOPLE ARE CALLED FAILURES IF THEY CAN'T BREASTFEED.

Yes, human milk for human babies. But what about the women who can't?

What do you think of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Sad for her child and her loved ones.

Sadder yet, is that breast feeding "advocates" won't open their eyes to the pressure they put on others- the way they seem to go out of their way to make FF mothers feel inadequate. They'll deliberately fail to connect the dots that such pressure can push a depressed mother to such extremes.

Just watch.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 5:55 PM on May. 4, 2009

• LINK TO STORY:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1177156/First-picture-British-mother-plunged-death-New-York-depressed-baby-breastfeed.html
    Anonymous

• I was horribly depressed after i had my dd because i was not able to produce enough milk for her and i tried EVERYTHING!!! my mil made me feel like i was a horrible mother when i would drop her of with pumped milk and formula because i knew she wasn't going to have enough breast milk. I never got to the point where i wanted to hurt myself but, I would cry everyday!! I personally feel like there is a little too much pressure out there to breast feed...

momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 5:52 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Wow that's sad. Yes she did clearly has PPD which I believe was the main cause of her jumping but yes I do believe there are many people out there who look down on mother's who do not breastfeed and make their feelings known. I am planning on breastfeeding my son when he's born but will it work? I have no idea. Some women dry up too quickly, some babies won't latch on. Whatever the reason that women choose/cannot breastfeed, it is no one else's place to critize them or make them feel like horrible people. It is not your child and not your business. As long as the baby is being fed SOMEHOW that is all that matters. Its sad that this mom thought she was so horrible for not being able to breastfeed. I sure hope no one specifically made her feel that way because her death is one their shoulders.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:52 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I think that is real sad, and for the baby to not ever know his mom. I was not able to get enough milk out myself, from the effects of chemo., a few years ago, didn't really feel pressure from others, maybe overly suggestive to try this or that. If a woman is able to breastfeed, that's great, if they can't, they shouldn't be made to feel bad to the point of suicide.
    Anonymous

• Well, I think that it is a bit extreme. However, I am sick of hearing so much crap about breastfeeding. They did it back in the old days because they couldn't afford anything more. Now, we have formula. If you are a woman that cannot or just chooses not to breastfeed, use formula... Good Lord, I said before, I have one of each. They both have equal allergies and sickness. Do I feel bad for formula feeding the other, absolutely not. And I might add.. I think alot of moms these days do it because they think it makes their boobs bigger... Little do they know they will have flabby, saggy boobs in a few years. YIKES. Unless you have the money for a boob job, you are pretty much screwed for life... too bad.
    Anonymous

• One of my kids FF while the other BF, honestly, they are both healthy. I have know people that have extended breast feeding until after 2 years old and these are some of the least healthy people I know. I think breast milk is probably easier for babies to process, but I don't think formula is unhealthy. Some kids are just healthier than others. Breast feeding might have a little to do with it, but I think most times it has nothing to do with it. JMO.

*BTW, I wasn't suggesting that the EBF people I know have had unhealthy kids because of BF, but rather just that they are not as healthy for unknown reasons to me*

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:55 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I completely agree with Ash9724.

This poor woman.
    Anonymous

• I watched my sister go through depression with her daughter. She was so adamant about breastfeeding and not taking the meds that would have helped her she slit her wrists. She was found in time but she realized then breast was not best for her or her child. She got the help she needed. With her next child she tried to breastfeed but she had PPD again she stopped and got on meds. She was blasted by a few people but she showed them her scars from the last time she allowed someone to guilt her into continuing breast feeding. Breast is not always best.

Anonymous

• I seriously doubt that this ONE thing would have caused her to kill herself. A stable mind doesn't say "ooooohhhh noooo I can't breastfeed, soo instead my child should have NOOOOO mother! Yea, that is best!" That would be crazy.

Again, this mother obviously had other problems that the media wouldn't be privy to. She prob. had the baby blues, that was undiagnosed.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 5:57 PM on May. 4, 2009