Really bad baby eczema

Ugh, I am so frustrated right now. My son is 11 months old and we're having the hardest time trying to control his eczema. Right now he's having a flare up and it's on so much of his body. I don't know what to do! We've tried hydrocortizone cream, aquaphor, mustela, Aveeno ... all of them with no help.

Please, if any other moms have been through this, please please give me some advice on what else I can do ... thanks ...

ap9902

Asked by ap9902 at 6:22 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you need to look into his diet. eczema is most commonly conected to a food alergy to dairy. Although for my son it's wheat.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:55 PM on May. 4, 2009

• He was tested at the allergist at 8 months and he didn't have an allergic reaction to any food they tested for. Plus he is on formula, milk-based. If he were allergic to dairy, wouldn't he have a reaction to the formula and have to drink soy?
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 7:22 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Eczema cna also be caused by environmental allergens and food intolerances that dont show up on an allergy test. My son is allergic to milk and milk protein as well as quite a few other foods. Moisturizing is key to keeping it under control. I would aquaphor him 5-6 times a day sometimes. Also I found that using aquaphor before bed at night and letting him stay in pjs all day helped a ton. A milk intolerance could still cause eczema and wouldnt show on the skin test. Its a hard road to travel, my sons had horrible eczema since 3 weeks old and is now 10.5 months and we are just now starting to get answers.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 12:20 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Eczema is a reaction................"If he were allergic to dairy, wouldn't he have a reaction to the formula and have to drink soy? "
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:11 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Lynette, what I meant is that he hasn't had a reaction in the past when it came to formula. Why would he all the sudden have a reaction after being on formula for 10 months if he was allergic ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 8:13 PM on May. 6, 2009

• So he's never had eczema until recently?

An allergy can start at any time, I still wouldnt rule out dairy, but its more likely you've introduced something new thats causing it if he's just now started flaring. A new soap or laundry detergent? New food?
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 7:53 AM on May. 8, 2009