Really bad baby eczema

Ugh, I am so frustrated right now. My son is 11 months old and we're having the hardest time trying to control his eczema. Right now he's having a flare up and it's on so much of his body. I don't know what to do! We've tried hydrocortizone cream, aquaphor, mustela, Aveeno ... all of them with no help.

Please, if any other moms have been through this, please please give me some advice on what else I can do ... thanks ...

ap9902

Asked by ap9902 at 6:22 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Health

• Has he always had it? If it started after he started eating solids it could be an allergy. I would ask to have him tested.
    Our youngest has eczema and it is all over his legs, big red splotches. He also has more of a rash type on his back and belly. We make sure to bath and cover him in lotion every two days. We tried something called California Baby calming shampoo and bodywash and the California Baby body cream that comes in a little tub. We got it at Target. It seems to help.
    Our ped said if it got worse he could prescribe something for it.
    I would check out the allergies. Good luck.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:34 PM on May. 4, 2009

• We use a cream from the Dr. It's not steroid cream, and I'm sorry I don't have it right here to tell you the name. Our son had it so bad as a baby. He's 6 now and has asthma, you may want to have him checked, it's very common in children with asthma. Sorry I wasn't much help.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:50 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My DD has really sensitive skin plus eczema, it seemed like everything I tried would make it worse. Then I read a post about mixing equal parts of aquaphor, creamy desitin, eucerin (in the white tub). This mixture is my miracle cream now. Her skin looks the best it has ever looked.
    Anonymous

• He has had it since around 2 months. He's been tested at the allergist and is only allergic to dust, no foods. And our pediatrician did want to diagnose him as having asthma, although he is very young. He had bronciolitis when he was 6 months old and has been on breathing treatments since then. We recently stopped giving them to him about a month ago because he wasn't wheezing anymore.

We just gave him an Aveeno oatmeal bath and covered him with the Aveeno lotion. We shall see what happens from here. I may try that mixture Anonymous. At this point, I'm willing to try anything.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 7:20 PM on May. 4, 2009

• My 12 mos old has exzema also. He's had it pretty much since he had been born. It would clear up then the next minute he would have a big reaction. The doctors gave me a steroid cream and that helped really well. I also ge this lotion from maleluca named Renew and that work awesome! But you have to switch the lotions out because the skin would become immune to it. Also don't give him long baths and make sure the water is cool, and right after the bath hurry up and lotion him up because it traps the moisture better. Hope this helps, I know how frustrating it is and I just feel so sad for all those who have it because my son just itches like crazy.
    dmeh23

Answer by dmeh23 at 7:40 PM on May. 4, 2009

• The only thing that works for us is lotion made with lanolin.Worth a shot.Sponge baths too,don't immerse the baby.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:07 PM on May. 4, 2009

• We battled this with both of our kids. Some of the creams would help a little, but nothing cleared it up until about two years ago, we bought a different water softener and only used potassium. For whatever reason, it cleared the eczema up within the first week, and it hasn't returned. The softener with the salt didn't make a difference, but the potassium cleared it up.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:14 PM on May. 4, 2009

• ok my daughter has the same problem first make sure that you are not using any dryer sheets they leave a residue on clothes use unscented laundry soap and no liquid fabric softner second use only unscented baby soap and try to stayaway from it if it has alcohal in it or lanolin alos at rite aid i found a over the counter stuff that i use all of the time it is called dermarest they make a wash and a lotion that is great it helps to stop the itching and stuff almost right away and in a couple of days you will see a huge difference becareful with anything that you put on skin sont use anything with perfumes or dies that tends to make it worse also make sure that you only give baths everyother day cus too many baths dry out a babys skin and whenever you can get baby in the sun do so it helps with eczema it helps the body process some vitamins that the skin needs to be healthy also make sure that you put sunscreen on
    tired703

Answer by tired703 at 10:40 PM on May. 4, 2009