Smoking and nursing

So my hubby is in Germany and my DS has been sick and is teething and hasnt slept in about 2 weeks so neither have I. I dont have any help during the night and I have to work at 6 am. Im so stressed with everything and could seriously use a smoke, I havent smoked since I found out I was pregnant or since having him, now I know its not good to and blah blah blah but does the nicotine and stuff go through your body and go into your breast milk? Dont be judgy I just need the answer

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, the nicotene will get to your baby through the breastmilk. Maybe you can find clove cigarettes, or another herbal one. Or you can try my stress reliever:
    5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
    4 tablespoons flour
    4 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons cocoa
    1 egg
    3 tablespoons milk
    3 tablespoons oil
    3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
    A small splash of vanilla extract
    1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well.. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired. Even better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!!

Answer by rkoloms at 7:48 PM on May. 4, 2009

• One question... Just why?????
    Anonymous

• one answer....Stress reliever!!
    Anonymous

• It is so bad for the baby. Of course it goes into the breast milk. Don't do it. If you do go back to smoking put the baby on formula.
    I am a strong advocate for breastfeeding but if it is a question of nursing while smoking definitely go to formula.
    As for stress relief without smoking...relieve some sexual tension by masturbating to orgasm.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:01 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I have been wondering this too. I'm pretty sure it does. So, if you do have a cigarette, i suggest doing it after you breastfeed and long before you have to feed again.

One cig should do it. I'm so stressed by the pregnancy. I'm dying for one. But, i will hold off until i know it won't be near my baby in anyway.

Good luck.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 7:01 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Oh that sounds good!! But since my DS isnt sleeping I dont have any down time other than a quick minute! But talking to you guys has helped!! thanks
    Anonymous

• Actually not only do u need to worry about second hand smoke but u actually transfer FIVE times the amount of nicotine thru breastmilk. U have done so good up to this point! Keep it up mama. Why not try going for a walk. It will help the babys fussiness too. The fresh air is so good for them. Good luck and don't give in now!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:07 PM on May. 4, 2009

• A smoking mother puts baby at risk, so if you can in any way not start, that would be best. The more cigarettes a mother smokes, the greater the health risks for both her and her baby- whether he is breastfed or bottle-fed. If you do smoke, breastfeeding is still best for your baby. Read the research and details at Smoking and Breastfeeding

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:53 PM on May. 4, 2009

• my BFC told me to smoke right after i BF and dont smoke again till after i BF the next time..thats when the levels will be at their lowest. but yes, like everything else, it passes through our milk..
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 9:39 PM on May. 4, 2009

• thanks maggiemom for providing that website. alot of information on it!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 9:44 PM on May. 4, 2009