This is my personal opinion and I was just wondering if anyone thought about this too.

I have always wondered why people depend on the Goverment for services when in bible times it was the job of the church to take care of those in need (ie widows, orphans, ect) Doesn't it stand to reason that if we all tithed and gave offering to the church (be it food, money, clothes ect.) that the church in ture could take care of those in need.

I know this is a far fetched idea but wouldn't it be nice if it was like that now. That way all help was local, that those in need recieved exactly what they needed and ppl who were in a postion to give knew that what they were giving was going to someone turly in need.

This is just a though I had and wondered if anyone else though that maybe (in a perfect world) that this is how things should work.

lstrickland

Asked by lstrickland at 6:42 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Great idea! If only it were this way, the world would be a lot better off!
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 1:05 AM on May. 6, 2009

• If only it worked like that! Man, it would be a much brighter world!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 6:46 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Most churches do help those in need but they do not have the resources to let people live off them and meet all the needs of those who use social entitlements as a way of life. They are more of giving a helping hand to those on hard times but could never provide for the lifers on assistance.
    Anonymous

• In a perfect world, it could work that way.
    But so many rich churches don't use their money to help those in need...so I don't think it's a matter of lack of tithes.
    Boils down to selfishness, I suppose.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:49 PM on May. 4, 2009

• In a perfect world, it would be great. BUT...
    1) churches can put stipulations on who can receive assistance (must be a member of that church, must be a Christian, etc), the government cannot discriminate based on religion as churches can,
    2) not everyone goes to church or is Christian,
    3) given the state of the economy right now, fewer people are able to give to charities,
    4) given the state of the economy there are many more in need than the charities can care for.

That's just some of the problems with church related charities.
    Anonymous

• Bible also says not to go into debt and to relieve each other of such debt after 7 years. If only XD
    Anonymous

• 6:47 and timlessglass I think both have a good point.There are other charities too that are not run by government.Another point would be some if they could keep more of their money that goes to taxes ESP for the things they'd rather them not (abortion) then those could have more to give to charity.IMO the church needs to take a stand step up to the plate more then they have been.There are many problems though.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:57 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Anyway,I would not say we should not have any government assistence but the overexplosion of it all is sad and personally I don't like it one bit.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:59 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I did think about that the other week. That our communities could be doing a lot more to help each other. We could too, donations etc. We really need to start taking things into our own hands.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 7:02 PM on May. 4, 2009

• No because then all those who didn't believe would be a$$ed out or forced to convert/fake it if they ever needed any help.

Not to mention the churches that are too busy taking tithes so their pastor can have a mansion or private jet, etc.

Pass.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 7:02 PM on May. 4, 2009