Is it ok for a teacher to tell students to "shut up"?

My son had a sub today who told him and the girl next to him to shut up. She also said "damnit" in front of the whole class. And told an overweight girl that she is fat and needs to get in shape. I think this sub should never be allowed in the school again. She's absolutely pathetic, if you ask me. What would you do?

goldenfox

Asked by goldenfox at 7:15 PM on May. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am also a teacher. I have to disagree with those who say it isn't bad to say shut up. I have never used that term with my students. It is very disrespectful. Even if the children are misbehaving, we have to model manners and treating others with respect, even during stressful moments.
    KayB48

Answer by KayB48 at 9:50 PM on May. 4, 2009

• hell no!!
    jamieandjohnny

Answer by jamieandjohnny at 7:16 PM on May. 4, 2009

• As for the shut up part, if my son needed to shut up, I see no problem. The rest of it though? That would piss me off.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 7:17 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I don't like the phrase Shut Up! I think it just sounds mean and no teacher should yell that to a student. As for the other stuff I would definately let the principal know. That sub should not be teaching kids....
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 7:19 PM on May. 4, 2009

• teachers should not say "shut up", "damn it", or "you're fat" to anyone! all that is just one day? they need to set a good example. those are precisely the teachers that make all other teachers look bad. what a bitter bitch!
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 7:22 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Kids and most parents I know tell each other to shut up. What is the big deal. Have you ever been in a class of kids who are not listening? You have tried everything: listen, stop talking, hush, SHHHHHH, blinked the lights....... and still they talk. I usually ask if I really have to go so far as to actually say shut up. This gets their attention, but what is the big deal. It isn't a curse. It isn't rude. It is a request usually made out of frustration. Kids and most parents don't even go through a list of things. They go straight to the shut up. Get over it. It really isn't that bad. Should students ever tell a teacher to shut up? They do and often. Deal with that instead of undermining the teacher at every turn. Yes, I am a teacher and proud of it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:46 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I'd find out if what your son said was true, before you go and complain to the school authorities. He could be GREATLY exaggerating (which children tend to do, especially if THEY were also causing mischief along with the other kids).
    Anonymous

• Wow - I so disagree with you jesse123456. In our home, it's just about as bad as a curse - it's NOT allowed, and it is very rude. Especially for a person in authority to say it to a 9 year old kid. I understand the frustration, really I do, especially since I've seen how naughty this class can be. I'd be tempted to say it myself, but that's why I'm not teacher material. But I think if you're going to be a teacher you need to be able to have the patience and maturity to deal with unruly kids without resorting to name-calling and rudeness. If my kid EVER said shut up to an adult, wow...he would be in serious trouble. Believe me, I would stand up for the teacher in that case.

Oh, and not that this has anything to do with it, but I never try to undermine the teacher. I am a regular classroom volunteer and help more than any other parent. But anyway, my issue is not with his teacher but with the substitute he had.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 7:51 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I heard this from another student first, and then got a call saying the girl had told her dad the same story. My son probably wouldn't have said anything about it. So, I know it's not an exaggeration.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 7:53 PM on May. 4, 2009

• None of that is OK on any level. I would call the principal. If your son is exagerrating or whatever, it will come out if they take each kid out and ask them what happened. I cant believe a teacher would justify telling a child to shutup. Yup, a lot of kids are brats! If you cant deal with it, dont become a teacher!!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 7:56 PM on May. 4, 2009