Do you think it matters?

When I talk about God,or to him. I use the term God or Father, and Lord. I was talking to some really nice JW's this morning. It was fun.( I love talking about God.) Well I talked their ears off.(Big surprise.) One thing I did not ask them is why they feel we should pray to God using Jehovah? Do you think it really matters? I mean as long as we use the terms I listed above. Of course In Jesus Christs name. I am not saying they are wrong just wanted to know what your input on this.

mo2a27

Asked by mo2a27 at 7:35 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 1 (-6 Credits)
  • Mo....
    You can call Him any one of His names .. the Jews call Him Yeshua, We say God or Jesus .
    I personally call Him Father and Jesus and Papa :-)
    Whatever our heart says just as long as it is His name.
    He goes by many names
    Prince of Prince
    Counselor
    Elohim = God
    Jehovah
    Yeshua
    Jesus
    God
    Yahweh
    El Shaddai
    Adonai = Lord
    Alpha and Omega
    First and Last
    I AM
    Holy One / Kadosh
    Shepherd
    JEHOVAH: LORD in our English Bibles (all capitals). Yahweh is the covenant name of God.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:00 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I don't think it really matters.

I personally prefer to call Him - "Heavenly Father" when I pray because I like to focus on my relationship with him.
    Anonymous

• I'm not JW, but I think thats b/c they believe that is his "true" name and not one used/made by man.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:39 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Personally, I don't think it matters because God knows who you are praying to. I personally only refer to God as God. And never in the name of Jesus. I know my prayers are heard.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 7:41 PM on May. 4, 2009

• well as Catholics we pray to God that is the Holy Trinity-the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. so praying to Jehovah would be praying to one person or entity and that's not how we pray or refer to God.
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 7:43 PM on May. 4, 2009

• God knows we are praying to Him right? So I was just wondering if it really offended him if you did not call him Jehovah. If someone did not know my name and was taught to call me other things that pleased me just as much. I would not hold it against them. Also if they chose to continue to use those names or terms after learning my name I would not get offended either. It is not hateful or anything. I wonder if I would have to call him Jehovah if I became one. Can you tell me? Is it a rule or do they allow you to call him God, Heavenly father, or Lord? Do I have to call him Jehovah all the time? Before I ventured out to find a church to attend. I had no clue what JW's were b/c Jehovah is not the name that is widely known. Anyone else ever felt this way?
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 7:50 PM on May. 4, 2009

• i know they feel strongly about Christians "not having a name for God" but i don't know the answer to your question.
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 7:52 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Well, God is perfect and NEVER gets offended (IMO). I also have to say, God doesn't have one name. Humans place many names on God and they all are equal names.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 7:54 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I don't think it matters whether you use god, Ra, Jehovah, Allah, or Flying Spaghetti Monster. It's all the same power so it's just a question of semantics
    Anonymous

• Hmm.. well I have to wait a week for them to get back to my house for our bible studies. I am not the most patient person so that explains this question. LOL. Maybe I should have gotten their card! I love talking about God and the Bible. I can do it all day long! Praise the Lord!

:P
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 7:59 PM on May. 4, 2009