Spoiling a 5 month old

My DD is 5 months old...she's fine when I'm holding her and screams when I put her down.
I know its the whole, mommy makes me feel safe, but it's really getting to me. She's now teething and cries constantly. I would say 75% of the time all she does is cry.
I feel so bad for not helping her but my house looks like a disaster area, all because I hold her constantly.
What can I do? I hate hearing her scream all the time...

Chloesmom1126

Asked by Chloesmom1126 at 7:42 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can't spoil a 5 month old! I know it is frustrating to want some me time, maybe you husband will take the baby for a bit?
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 7:44 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Sounds like my daughter when she was a tot. I bought a sling and carried her while my hands were free. She's now 26, and extremely independent. There's nothing wrong with spoiling your babies.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:49 PM on May. 4, 2009

• For now, I'd say ignore the house. Your daughter is more important. You could also try using a sling/baby carrier. It would hinder how well you could clean, but you would at least have 2 free hands to straighten up with. My son was the same way, I couldn't go to the bathroom without him going into hysterics. I used a sling when I could, held him when I couldn't, and just let bygons be bygons with my house. It was a wreck but everyone understood and friends offered me some help with cleaning. That was the best gift ever I tell ya! I don't know what happened, but one day he just switched and became extremely independent. It's like one day he just realized I was a permanent fixture in his life. I honestly think that his independence today is a direct result of how much I held him before. My niece (1 week older than my son) wasn't held as much as he was in the beginning and she is very clingy now. They are both 9 months old.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 7:50 PM on May. 4, 2009

• You can spoil a baby under a year old. It sounds like you need to get a sling or belly pouch and more and more each day let her cry a little longer cause she needs to learn to calm herself. Its gonna be harder on yourself but she will be fine.GL
    Anonymous

• The other moms are right, you can't spoil a baby! She needs you for comfort. BUT, it's nice to be able to do things with 2 hands. The slings/carriers are nice. I used to put my dd in her swing or seat and just be right in her face talking to her, so she knew I was still close, but didn't need to be holding her. Sometimes she'd cry and I would distract her with a toy. Mine is 7 months and still clingy sometimes. Just remember, the time will come when she won't LET you hold her!
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 7:59 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Your title is a non sequitur. You CANNOT spoil a five month old. PERIOD. NOT possible.

Do NOT worry about the housework. No one grades you on that (Anyone who DOES? Take 'em off your social calendar. You're doing what's right for your child.)

That said...GET A SLING. It will make a HUGE difference and is the most important thing you can have after a car seat.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:00 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I agree with everyone. Chores will always be there tomorrow.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:11 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I have a sling, bumbo and swing...nothing helps...I sit in the floor with her, I lay in the floor...screaming...
    My neighbors just came over and ask me what was wrong...
    She wants to be in my arms ALL the time. My DH tries to help but she just screams...
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 8:14 PM on May. 4, 2009

• ah sounds like my son. but he does like to play now. I got an activity center for him, he likes it for maybe 30 min. Then i try to put him in the highchair...that works for a little bit too. I can't use a sling cuz he's like 19lbs and it hurts my back. My son knows his cries get me to hold him...he smiles when I pick him up...so yes, i think he knows what he is doing. But they are babies and we should hold them as much as we can....but don't let the house go...I did and it was yucky. my parents came to visit me and cleaned. Thank goodness for them. My hubby works and goes to school so he can only do so much. I totally understand you...It might get better in a couple of months.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 8:33 PM on May. 4, 2009

• As long as she is fed, clean and should be happy then let her scream. Teething is difficult and there are things you can do to help her, but holding her constantly is not good for her or you. YOU CAN SPOIL A FIVE MONTH OLD BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!! She should be able to play, swing or whatever happily for 10-15 minutes or longer while you tidy and do your own thing. Trust me you don't want a clingy kid. Cuddly and lovable, yes, but not clingy.
    FullTimeMOM823

Answer by FullTimeMOM823 at 8:34 PM on May. 4, 2009