Failure to thrive

I posted a few weeks back about my cousin who I believe is indirectly starving her son.I watched her feed him last week,and now I see the problem.She fed him a small jar of pears,5 spoonfulls of beef,and no formula.She said he didn't want it.Her doc is having her put corn oil in his milk.If this is her habit,he's lucky if he gets 12 oz. of formula a day!He's 7 months and 14lbs.Do you think her doc is about to report her to CPS?She doesn't seem to get it that the milk is his main source of nutrition! I feel so bad for him! She's totally blase about his health.She's really lazy and won't take the time to do the right thing.All my attempts at helping her in a constuctive way are shot down with her swearing at me! My family takes her side.I worry he's gonna be SO delayed!Any thoughts?No bashing please.

TMJ121099

Asked by TMJ121099 at 7:48 PM on May. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As I said before if you feel good with telling a person to ignore a helpless human being's need for help that is on you not me. It is always easier to ignore things and leave it up to someone that SHOULD have said something but as they say, shoulda coulda woulda.  There is no need to explain why you wish for someone to ignore a child's nonexistent voice. I personally never would but, hey, that is just me. 

Anonymous

• is she depressed? she needs help. 14 lbs at 7 months is NOT healthy! i dont know what else to say. I don't know how to help. does she understand her baby is under weight?
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 7:50 PM on May. 4, 2009

• Hate to say it but if she doesn't care about his health then perhaps CPS is the best course. Better a foster home than a funeral home, right?

Answer by gdiamante at 7:58 PM on May. 4, 2009

• No she's not depressed,she's narcissistic! She knows darn well he's under weight,she's been told by us and the doc.She said she didn't want a fat baby,so I think in the back of her mind she figures"hey,if I don't feed him alot,he'll be slim".I told her if she doesn't get his weight up by at least 3 lbs by July,he could suffer brain damage and be retarded in one way or another.It didn't faze her!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:00 PM on May. 4, 2009

• She needs to be reported. If people see this going on and say nothing they are just as guilty
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:14 PM on May. 4, 2009

• if she doesnt care than cps should get involved!
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 8:15 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I'm waiting to see what the doc sees in a few weeks.It will have more creedence if the doc makes out a report.We tried to report her in March,and they said they needed proof of neglect,not just our word.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:27 PM on May. 4, 2009

• why corn oil? that seems really strange for a doc to say that. my son is almost 7 mos. and he drinks formula and eats some baby food. after i give him the jar I see if he wants the bottle. He usually takes some. Then again he is 19lbs. Does he seem delayed at all? Good luck.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 8:29 PM on May. 4, 2009

• I think if she is intentionally not feeding him to keep him thin I would report her to child protection!! it's one thing if he is just a small baby... some kids are and there is nothing you can do to get them to gain.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:32 PM on May. 4, 2009

• He's showing delays in development.He can roll,but shows no interest in crawling or equivalent.He won't look you in the face when you talk to him,he looks over your shoulder.He can't sit up on his own.You sit him up,he falls like a rock.This could all be her not working with him or delays,or both.The corn oil is suppose to fatten him up I guess.Extra fat calories?
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:42 PM on May. 4, 2009